Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 06:08 PM

Location: Pittsburgh Pa (North Suburb called Cranberry Township)
Default cold call from a slightly loose aggressive-aggressive

Can I get some counsel on how to play against a slightly loose aggressive-aggressive when they coldcall a preflop raise.

Next to blind play, this continue to be my biggest opportunity for improvement. I have AJ or AQ and open raise in MP. A 25-9-2.5 guy coldcalls. Flop is small and uncoordinated. If I bet, it seems to be raised 100% of the time.

In a game where overs are constantly missing, this becomes a huge challenge because he will continually coldcall a raise. Every once in a while, I will have the goods, the 99 will flop a set or I can play the overpair, but this is really confusing. Do I 3-bet? Do I check fold 4th unimproved? (seems pretty weak, but I don't want to spew chips either)

I know that this is a very general question, but one that I seem to continue to struggle with.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: cold call from a slightly loose aggressive-aggressive

'If I bet, it seems to be raised 100% of the time.'... Change seats. If being in a particular seat makes it hard for you to play your game, either change and sit down in a better seat, adapt your game for the higher aggressive play behind you or change tables.

'In a game where overs are constantly missing, this becomes a huge challenge because he will continually coldcall a raise.'... So don't bluff bet. If he won't fold his hand, betting the flop, in the hopes of winning the hand immediately, won't work. But take advantage of his passive play by betting your decent hands.

'Every once in a while, I will have the goods, the 99 will flop a set or I can play the overpair, but this is really confusing. Do I 3-bet? Do I check fold 4th unimproved?'... Top pair or a set verses a loose post flop aggressive. I am going to cap the flop every time. Why would you want to fold your top pair or flopped set on the turn?? Your set rarely needs to improve to win in a multiway pot, let alone in a heads up pot. And top pairs are strong hands verses just one player.

Unless you have a read on your opponent that makes you quite sure that you are behind, you simply suck it up and build the pot (or protect your hand, whichever applies).
Old 06-23-2005, 08:49 PM

Location: Pittsburgh Pa (North Suburb called Cranberry Township)

[ QUOTE ]
'Every once in a while, I will have the goods, the 99 will flop a set or I can play the overpair, but this is really confusing. Do I 3-bet? Do I check fold 4th unimproved?'... Top pair or a set verses a loose post flop aggressive. I am going to cap the flop every time. Why would you want to fold your top pair or flopped set on the turn?? Your set rarely needs to improve to win in a multiway pot, let alone in a heads up pot. And top pairs are strong hands verses just one player.

[/ QUOTE ]

After rereading, this was probably confusing. Not saying that I fold top set or pair, etc. Only saying when it does happen, it pays off nicely in this situations, it is when I miss that I run into the issues - sorry for any confusion.

as far as changing seats, it is an online game - so usually the option to change seats it is not there - so it appears a table change is in order. When you say adjust your game - this is kinda what I am asking - how to adjust the game - if I miss, is this a situation that I just keep pounding? or go into check call mode? If I bet and he calls the turn, is it a check fold on the end, fire another round with A high?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:05 PM

Adjusting to an aggresive player who likes to raise it up behind you means that you can control the betting at the table. You can use him to drive out other players and protect your hands (even when the betting doesn't come from your left). You can build the pot when you have a draw or big hand, trapping players inbetween him and you. You can check raise him often.

But those advantages come at a cost. You can't bluff him. You can't get free cards on the turn and you can't slip in with hands that might be good for one bet (but will ultimatley cost you two, because you are quite sure that he will raise it up behind you).

Also, you need to have a better read on betting patterns. Some aggressives like to raise the flop with their draws and bet/call a raise with their second pairs. They will cap with top pair no kicker, and check raise gut shot straights. You need to find out what makes them tick, otherwise you will find yourself out of position trying to guess (badly) as to what they have.