Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Re: stars 5/10... GULP

Can we at all use UTG's range to narrow SB's?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can we at all use UTG's range to narrow SB's?

[/ QUOTE ]

eeeeekkkkkkk. Yes, but it scares me to even think about thinking about this.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:28 PM

I don't play this high but wonder why pushing is an option if you fear AA and JJ while QQ could get away from a push. He has half his stack in the pot and you have position. If you're going to commit isn't the play to just call? I wouldn't think you'd be worried about draws at this point really.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? A lot of people reraise out of the blinds w JJ in that fullish game? W a good coldcaller on the button no less?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Don't they? I do with less. Villian's range here is much wider than AA and JJ ya know. The fact that there is a dry sidepot complicates things but not enough to think that he won't be betting the flop with much worse than KK. This is not on the bubble of a tournament remember.

This is a CALL and it's not even close. Raising will fold out everything you beat except QQ and MAYBE AJ. Call and let the turn play itself. Getting him to put more chips in the pot on the turn with a worse hand that will fold to your flop raise is worth the risk of having an A, Q, or J hit.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:41 PM

I played a hand similar to this last week, I raised QQ utg, short stack coldcalled. Tighish player reraised, I called for set value, and shorty was just allin. Flop came 7 high and I check folded safely. Seemily tight reraised had AK and took it down unimproved. Ud be surprised what they may have. I check raise allin. Im not crazy about it, but im not folding.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:03 AM

The problem with this situation is you misrepresented your hand preflop. You flat called the short-stacked preflop raiser, when I think you should have isolated him with a re-raise to $90 or $100. Then you flat called SB's re-raise when I think you should have re-raised him when you were given a second shot. As you played the hand, I would push here on the flop. SB isn't extremely deep and you need to protect your hand vs. hands like TT in case he flopped a gutshot.

From SB's point of view, your preflop flat call signals weakness, and he wants to isolate the short-stack all-in with any "premium hand." He could have anything including TT, QQ, AK, AQ, and maybe more. His flop bet may be a bluff hoping to push you off a weak pair and praying his AK/AQ holds up against the all-in player. His flop bet may be very serious with AA, JJ or he could actually be thinking he's betting with the best hand with any pair thinking he's protecting his hand against what SB thinks is AK here (many players flat call a raise and re-raise preflop with AK hoping to hit the flop).

Sure, he may have AA or JJ some of the time, but I think you have a winning situation here enough of the time to make a push profitable. However, it's doubtful I would be in this scenario in the first place as I would invariability find another raise pre-flop.

Garland
Old 10-26-2005, 11:37 AM

I think you have to raise in this position. Well I think you should have re-raised pre-flop and it would have made this decision eaiser.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:42 AM

Stick it in then reload if need be.

He has no idea how strong you are.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]basically, the way this hand played out PF, he NO IDEA how strong you are. none... you passed on isolating a shortstack... no way does an average player need AA to make that raise... i think you shouldve moved in PF... good chance he calls w/ 99-QQ. as played, that flop kinda sucks, but eff it... he only has a dime... if you get broke w/ KK, it happens... puush.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He calls 2 raises preflop, I assume he doesnt give off the appearance of a live one, what the hell does a good player have when he calls 2 raises preflop for a significant portion of stacks?