Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Things Lon McEachern needs to stop saying

"He's got the check-mark, He'll win this hand as long as he doesn't fold" - This is a fine thing to say when a guy has a marginal hand that he could bet bluffed off, but Lon seems to say it in spots where it is just dumb.

"Putting his tournament life on the line" - we know.

There are many others that I can't remember right now.

This guy is so annoying that I am beginning to like Norman Chad.

Also Lon and Norm should wear ties.

That is all for now.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Things Lon McEachern needs to stop saying

He just has to stop laughing whenever Norm says something.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:28 PM

I was watching a kickboxing match and something was weird about it. Finally I realized it was Lon doing the commentary.
It was weird hearing him in something other than poker. Not sure why. Also not sure why I posted this.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:29 PM

Lon is a good announcer, as you may or may not know, he does all kinds of different events, from boxing, to K-1, to poker, to (i believe he did some of the great outdoor games). He is a good play-by-play because he doesn't sound insanely stupid but caters to people that don't know anything. The poker players are watching to see some poker, and that can be their own entertainment, not for the play by play guy who isn't a poker player to inform them about some new deep insight.
He is just trying to explain the action to the general public, and he does a pretty good job. He's far better than the guys on FSN that's for sure
Old 08-31-2005, 12:37 PM

"And there's a useless card on the river."
Old 08-31-2005, 12:39 PM

Have you seen him do the World Scrabble Championships?? Fascinating television.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:37 PM

My complaint is that he makes it too obvious that a "surprise" card is coming in his commentary. Last night, when Phil Gordon was in at AA vs. Pham's TT - you knew by his announcing before the T came on the turn that it was coming.

The worst example was the hand that knock off Bellande in the Circuit event. At the flop, it say that his opponent got the "wheel draw" with a very excited voice (even though it was a gut-shot draw). That makes it way too obvious that he'd complete the wheel, and there's no way anyone would annonce it that way if this was live.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My complaint is that he makes it too obvious that a "surprise" card is coming in his commentary. Last night, when Phil Gordon was in at AA vs. Pham's TT - you knew by his announcing before the T came on the turn that it was coming.

The worst example was the hand that knock off Bellande in the Circuit event. At the flop, it say that his opponent got the "wheel draw" with a very excited voice (even though it was a gut-shot draw). That makes it way too obvious that he'd complete the wheel, and there's no way anyone would annonce it that way if this was live.

[/ QUOTE ]The percentage of hands that something specials happens during is significantly higher on ESPN coverage than in real life. That's simply the way it is when the hands are selected for TV.

I don't mind Lon. I can't stand Norman.

One must remember that ESPN is attempting to appeal to a broad audience. If real poker experts with real expert poker commentary were used, it would bore most of the audience into switching to Buffy re-runs.

The same sorts of complaints are made by baseball and football fans. Those fans that really know about the game almost always think the commentators are bad because they cater to the masses.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was watching a kickboxing match and something was weird about it. Finally I realized it was Lon doing the commentary.
It was weird hearing him in something other than poker. Not sure why. Also not sure why I posted this.

[/ QUOTE ]

"You see that check-mark next to his name, that means he'll win the round as long as he doesn't get his ass kicked."
Old 08-31-2005, 01:48 PM

I will take Lon every day of the week over Micheal Konik.