Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: H.U.A.C. fan

Except in his reply to Cyrus, zipo stated clearly that his post was satire and was posted well before the others posted. Perhaps they didn't read his response to Cyrus which makes it hard to believe because of the way the thread progressed.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Except in his reply to Cyrus, zipo stated clearly that his post was satire and was posted well before the others posted. Perhaps they didn't read his response to Cyrus which makes it hard to believe because of the way the thread progressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya, but that kind of stuff happens all the time, but on this one methinks.... No Harm - No Foul.

FWIW, I did not miss the irony & satire & it elicited a good chuckle.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Should have noticed, on the edge though since I thought and actually still thinks the smoke was not without fire. He's not my favourite poster after all [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]. On the other hand, his affection towards me is charming even if I don't return it [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].
Old 08-23-2005, 12:33 PM

Default From the animal farm

[ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to believe that you didn't read zipo's reply to Cyrus stating that his post was satire.

[/ QUOTE ]
Zipo's claim is chickenshit.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Back to Reality ....

[ QUOTE ]
Zipo's claim is chickenshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprising response from you.

No it's not chickensh*t I took as satire. He should have changed is handle to John Ashcroft then maybe it would have been obvious to a few more people. Laugh Cyrus, it's actually quite good satire methinks.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Strip-o-gram

[ QUOTE ]
I took [it] as satire. It's actually quite good satire methinks.

[/ QUOTE ]No, it's chickenshit.

It's an attempt to downplay his previous, venomous threats such as this one: [ QUOTE ]
All I can do as a citizen is report such expressions of support or incitement of terror, and let the appropriate authorities make whatever determination they will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Strip-o-gram

God I just read that, it's fairly offensive the US can [censored] off as far as my freedom of speech goes, I'll say what the [censored] I like.

Mack
Old 08-23-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Enjoying the free donuts ?

[ QUOTE ]
"Stop posting" ..I'll consider it if you consider it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not the one doubling as the neighborhood cop.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:41 PM

>>It's posts like this that make everyone hate Americans. Can't say I blame them either.<<

Of course. It doesn't surprise me that an enlightened soul like yourself would find anti-American bigotry perfectly acceptable - like many other "enlightened" people in the world who deplore racism and bigotry, unless of course it is directed at Americans, in which case it is acceptable and understandable.

Perhaps this post of mine in another thread earlier will clear up some of the controversies re my motives and intent in my posts.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;o=&vc=1

Essentially, in this post I stress that the broad problem we are discussing (which is in essence violent polarization, e.g. the West vs. Islam, Israeli vs. Palestinian, Liberal vs. Conservative, American vs. anti-American) is a *human* problem. I start from the premise that we are all human, and share the same rational virtues and irrational tendencies.

The cyclically reinforcing nature of this polarization involves the projection of our "shadow" onto the other, causing an action (e.g. 9/11) results in a reaction (e.g. the invasion of Iraq, Abu Graeb) which justifies and reinforces the original distorted attributions. This is the psychological dynamic behind the painfully repetitive cycles of violence endured through history. As an aside, I hope this doesn't spawn a "who did what first" thread, as such debates are entirely meaningless in this context, even if one wishes to go back to Adam.

If one were truly objective, one would be horrified at the rising tide of islamic terror in the world, with its repressive, violent, and nihilistic aims. One may also be alarmed at the sharp increase in American militarism, continuing cultural hegemony, excessive materialism etc.

But the point is that one *can* make a value judgement here - and my point in short is that terrorism is the force which will unleash the heretofore moderately repressed elements of our human natures best left repressed, with disastrous consequences for *all* of humanity.

And it is interesting to see how the dynamics described above on the world scene are played out in microcosm on this board.

My appreciation to those who understood the serious points I was trying to make in an illustrative and entertaining way, however poorly executed they may have been.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:52 PM

Well, I have made up my mind on both, and I detest both. I see neither terrorism or American militarism contributing to this world. Thus I can feel sympathetic both to those who fight terrorism and those who fight American militarism. And I honestly believe, both the sides are on the losing side, thus I remain an optimist for this blue bubble.