Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 01:31 AM

Default hand I played badly...need some analysis.

Here is hand that I probably misplayed. I would appreciate some feedback regarding the play

PokerRoom No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP3 ($210)
CO ($143)
Button ($189)
SB ($237)
BB ($97)
UTG ($154)
UTG+1 ($200)
<font color="#C00000">UTG+2 ($205)</font>
MP1 ($249)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($339)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls $12.

Flop: ($45) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets $45</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $200</font>, UTG+2 calls $141 (All-In).

Turn: ($431) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($431) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $431

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG+2 has 6h 6d (three of a kind, sixes).
Hero has Ah Ac (one pair, aces).
Outcome: UTG+2 wins $417. Hero wins $14. </font>

cheers
Boon
Old 08-15-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Re: hand I played badly...need some analysis.

Pretty much just a tough spot having your aces cracked after he cold called your raise preflop. Also hard to put him on the set when he leads at you on the flop. Just tough luck. If you both had more chips you could of made a smaller raise, but in this spot it is almost impossible not to lose your money. Overall, I can't see how you misplayed this hand unless you had previous knowledge of the UTG+2 that you didn't incoorperate into your thought process.

Pockets
Old 08-15-2005, 02:02 AM

It would help alot to know your read on your opponent. Let's assume he's semi decent.... here's my thoughts-

PREFLOP) your reraise - fine. Though, if you're willing to loose your whole stack with an unimproved overpair, then raise it even more... first off, you defined your hand with your reraise but gave him just the right implied odds to call for set value... by raising more, you give him incorrect calling odds (if he's decent, he won't call if he's not getting correct odds)

THE REST) Let's say your reraise range is AA/KK/QQ and maybe AK (least likely). Keep in mind that with your reraise (unless you're a maniac) HE KNOWS WHAT YOU HAVE. If he's betting into you after you reraised, he knows he has you beat.

Further bad signs- He bet the pot which was 1/3 of his remaining stack. Again, unless he's an idiot or a habitual bluffer, he's not going anywhere.

Note: I also suspect he's playing it fast because he doesn't want anyone calling with the flush draw. Otherwise, he might have checked-raised you.

At a table with a lot of fish ($50NL), I might be willing to lose with unimproved Aces. But assuming the players are somewhat decent, you're beat here because your reraise gave away your hand.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much just a tough spot having your aces cracked after he cold called your raise preflop. Also hard to put him on the set when he leads at you on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. As per my response earlier, the hero pretty much told the villain that he had a high pocket pair. Villain called. Then villain bet into the reraiser (who defined his hand). He knows hero likes his hand. So... what else on that board is he doing that with?

If hero calls the bet, he should knows he's likely doing it with 2 outs.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At a table with a lot of fish ($50NL), I might be willing to lose with unimproved Aces. But assuming the players are somewhat decent, you're beat here because your reraise gave away your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should I just smooth call his $8 preflop raise?? Is it not better to reraise him here??

cheers
Boon
Old 08-15-2005, 02:26 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. As per my response earlier, the hero pretty much told the villain that he had a high pocket pair. Villain called. Then villain bet into the reraiser (who defined his hand). He knows hero likes his hand. So... what else on that board is he doing that with?

If hero calls the bet, he should knows he's likely doing it with 2 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that OP defined his hand, but if his hand was truly definied why wouldn't villain have check raised knowing that OP had an overpair that he'd surely bet on the flop. When villian leads, it appears more as a steal or feeler bet than a bet inducing a raise from the overpair.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:04 AM

I'd probably call flop and call whatever else he bets. Lets you win greatest from KK-99, (+bluffs), lose same amount if he flopped a set.

Way he raised pre, and given that flop you are pretty much going broke here though.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:27 AM

Wouldn't it be better to reraise and try to knock out the players behind you?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:37 AM

Pushing on the flop doesn't get rid of any hands that are ahead of you, but could get plenty of hands you are way ahead of to fold. Whenever you make a big raise, consider what hands can call you and what hands can't, and how you fare against those hands.

Like Bukem says, I would just call here, so that you make the most money off of the hands that you are crushing.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

PREFLOP) your reraise - fine. Though, if you're willing to loose your whole stack with an unimproved overpair, then raise it even more... first off, you defined your hand with your reraise but gave him just the right implied odds to call for set value... by raising more, you give him incorrect calling odds (if he's decent, he won't call if he's not getting correct odds)

[/ QUOTE ]

What are some rough guidelines for a reraise that prevents a call with implied odds for flopping a set? I hope that wasn't a run-on sentence.