Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 02:21 PM

Default The obligatory how to improve my game post from a newb

How do I improve my game? I've just recently started playing limit, coming from NL sit-n-go where I am a fairly aggressive all-in jammer. Now I'm learning to play the hands fairly straight forward (I'm playing party .50/1), and being frustrated that I just can't protect certain hands where in NL I'd do fine with them. Just part of limit I guess.

I have pt so I can see my stats but I really don't know what to look for. So far I've only played 4k hands but that at least tells me my v$ip is centered around 26% (20-30 depending on the session). Is that too high for party .50/1? How do I use pt to find my leaks?

There has got to be an essential post or two that I should read. I have been reading through SSHE, great book [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Re: The obligatory how to improve my game post from a newb

read the sticky microlimit guideline thread at the top of this forum, 2nd post I think.

LOTS of good info in there for you.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:30 PM

26% vpip is too loose. It'd be ok if you were an experienced limit player (you play more hands, make more good decisions, etc), but right now you shouldn't be over 20%. 16% is considered the norm i believe. There's a bunch of stat posts, use the search function. Basically, shoot for 16-20 VPIP, 8-12 PFR. More importantly read 2p2 and read SSHE. And have friends who play limit to discuss hands with.
Edit: spelling
Old 12-17-2005, 03:05 PM

Obligitory repetitive response to the " obligatory how to improve my game post from a newb"
Read SSH, reread SSH, read some parts of SSH again, read the parts you didn't read last time again, then reread the whole thing again.

There's some great stuff IN HERE from the Wook
Including the ever loverly Grunchcan challenge. Learn what *grunch* means (from there) and do it offten.

Post hands. Discuss hands. Think about them away from the table.

Do not live by stats. As others have said to you allready 26 may be a bit high unless you make super sexy postflop decisions. Once you get to the point of super sexiness if your table selection is good then 24 - 27 might not be to bad. But as a newb I would tighten up a bit.

Other General Rules For Micro-Limit Poker
* Don't slowplay - "the fish like to call I like to let them"
* Don't bluff - people will call you down with wonderous things but they will almost allways call you down
* VALUE BET - (this is part of the first two) don't be afraid to bet. Unlike NL or higher stakes where you don't make bets that opponents won't call with worse hands. In the micro-limits people WILL call down with worse or even unimaginable hands. Bet even some of your marginal hands for value.
* Don't Get Fancy - 80% of your opponents are only paying attention to their own cards. 15% of the players who are paying attention aren't really thinking about it or adjusting their play. On top of that players are changing so frequently that "advertising plays" or "looking smart" do not help. Play straight forward and you will make money against these opponents.

Welcome to the forums
Thomas
Old 12-17-2005, 03:09 PM

I had looked at that before, I need to look again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So I'm looking at a few of the stats (4k is a bit small of a sample size, but it's a start).

One glaring problem, I play far far too often from the SB, I think this is a carry over from my NL play where I think you can get away with more SB play in an unraised pot because the implied odds are better. 63% v$ip from the SB [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. It also looks like I'm raising out of the SB as much as the button and one off the button.

I think I'm calling people down a bit too often. Typical range in ()'s from the guide:
<ul type="square">[*]Went to Showdown 34.81% (28-32)[*]Won $ At SD 48.97% (50-58)[*]Folded to River Bet 29.88% (40-55)[/list]I think I'll go dig up some hands where I called down and post them in the next couple of days, I already have one hand post and this one so I'll wait.