Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Help me understand this concept, two overpair hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Wait for the turn when both:

-Your hand's equity changes greatly on a turn blank (the board is very coordinated and the pot is multiway)
-You can't effectively protect your hand on the flop, but you probably will be able to do so on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok that's easy, thanks for the help [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] <- =o
Old 06-12-2005, 06:04 PM

I'd raise. The board is rainbow with few straight draws... How are you going to know what card is safe or not (aside from the board pairing jacks)? You're most likely ahead with everyone else drawing to 5 or less outs, raise for value while you can I think. You have alot more equity than if you just had a single middle overpair where any overcard would be a scare card.

Heres a link to an article from a previous 2+2 internet magazine issue with some good tips: Selective Aggression

One hand from that article, for example:

You're dealt

K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
in middle position. You open-limp (which is debatable, but again, not relevant), the button limps, the small blind folds and the big blind checks. There are 3 players to the flop for 3.5 small bets. The flop is

K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
The big blind bets out. What do you do?

You have a relatively strong hand, top pair good kicker, but your hand is still vulnerable. Instead of simply raising here, you could call with the intention of raising a safe card on the turn. The board is coordinated, but the pot is small. Thus, waiting to raise a safe card on the turn is the best play. Why? A flush draw is certainly not folding, and probably not a straight draw either. Moreover, your equity in this hand is probably around 30 percent. Thus, raising appears to be a breakeven play. However, if a card like a 2 comes on the turn, your equity will skyrocket, allowing you to raise when your equity is the highest. However, if a card like T comes, you might very well be beat. Thus, waiting for the turn allows you to lose the minimum if you're behind.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:07 PM

That makes it even clearer, thanks for the link KeysrSoze =)