Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Boring and standard?

I guess oyu could get one more bet out of them, but unless i have a read on someone as a very loose aggro player, the turn bet is the last money i put in the put, almost certainly.

Old 09-02-2005, 11:14 AM

What if it's A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and a blank hits the turn?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:21 AM

Easy check.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy check.

[/ QUOTE ]
Call a psb?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Easy check.

[/ QUOTE ]
Call a psb?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah. Check /fold the river ui without a read. Maybe call a small bet. I realize this leaves me folding the best hand some of the time, but that's life on a dangerous board oop with one pair. Also I think a lot of legitimate hands that don't beat me check behind on the river, like QQ, with or without [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] . The semibluffing hands I fold to, but there aren't so many of those since I hold the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Old 09-02-2005, 11:35 AM

You also lose to an aggro QJ[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or whatever. I'm not saying that your lines are bad. I'm just saying that it is easy for red aces to get all in on the flop knowing that they can't be THAT far behind. On the turn it's another story where they have much less equity. And black aces can find an easy laydown on the flop where they will still feel like they might be ahead and need to protect on the turn.

I'm definitely not saying a raise is wrong. It is the safer line. Before a card can come and kill your action or your hand. If you're against a flush, you have outs, and most of the time you won't be. But a flop call and work very nice to balance your draws and to put the pressure on the turn where you have much more equity when ahead.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You also lose to an aggro QJ[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or whatever. I'm not saying that your lines are bad. I'm just saying that it is easy for red aces to get all in on the flop knowing that they can't be THAT far behind. On the turn it's another story where they have much less equity. And black aces can find an easy laydown on the flop where they will still feel like they might be ahead and need to protect on the turn.

I'm definitely not saying a raise is wrong. It is the safer line. Before a card can come and kill your action or your hand. If you're against a flush, you have outs, and most of the time you won't be. But a flop call and work very nice to balance your draws and to put the pressure on the turn where you have much more equity when ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it seems we're pretty much in agreeance. I call the flop too sometimes, although raise is more standard. I am starting to think I should should do it more often, since this is a flop that I'd often call with any semblance of a draw to take it away later, which would as you say, balance it out. So you've somewhat persuaded me.

Edit: And BTW why the hell don't you play higher? Your reasoning is way too good for 200NL.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: The reason I posted

The main problem with waiting until the turn is that if a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] falls, you lose all value against black QQ-AA, and you're still probably going to lose a good chunk to JJ. Not getting value out of 22 shouldn't be an issue, he almost never has that.

Waiting until the turn is ok though because if you just call the flop and the turn bricks, QQ-AA with or without a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] will give you a good chunk.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:23 PM

I'm not sure why this is standard?

What percentage of the time do you think most players are going to go all in on a monotone flop without a made flush?

A made flush is going to win 65% of the time vs a set.

I think if there was a raise preflop and you could elminate AKs or such, this becomes a little easier.

Would the villain push on this flop with pocket Aces (one of them a diamond)?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if there was a raise preflop and you could elminate AKs or such, this becomes a little easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?