Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Do you bluff here?

Three handed in a $22 on PP. SB has been in a lot of hands recently, had pushed or folded from the button mostly. Button doesn't matter here.

I had been a little too tight the past couple of orbits, but had checked him down and won a mid-size pot with a marginal hand not long ago. Also, he folded when I pushed over the top on his last steal attempt.

Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 3
Seat 7: Villain ( $2748 )
Seat 9: Hero ( $3352 )
Seat 6: Button ( $1900 )
Level:7
Blinds(150/300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
Button folds.
Villain raises [450].
Hero calls [300].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Villain checks.
Hero checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
Villain bets [448].
Your time bank will become active in less than 20 seconds. If you do not want it to be used, please act now.
Hero calls [448].
** Dealing River ** [ A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Villain bets [300].

Hero???
Old 07-26-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Do you bluff here?

My question is why did you check the flop? I would've bet while I was likely ahead.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:55 PM

Does villain normally lead out on the flop, to "buy" the pot. If that's the case, a check usually means he's hit it pretty good, like top pair or better. If not, I would have lead out on the flop since you have improved, and folded to a reraise. If villain calls, there's a good chance he's on a draw, so I bet out again on the turn, and then I'm done with the hand (unless I'm improving).

The way you played this hand makes it a little more difficult. Less time to gather information. Your hand is vulnerable, you've got a nice stack, let this one go.

Scuba
Old 07-26-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is why did you check the flop? I would've bet while I was likely ahead

[/ QUOTE ]
I felt that a bet on the flop would induce him to come over the top and I wanted to see a free card. The turn would help define his hand for me.

Slack
Old 07-26-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My question is why did you check the flop? I would've bet while I was likely ahead

[/ QUOTE ]
I felt that a bet on the flop would induce him to come over the top and I wanted to see a free card. The turn would help define his hand for me.

Slack

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Unless you already have some info on villain, as I suggested in my previous post, then I don't know what checking does to help "define" this hand for you. Betting the flop helps define the hand for you.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:11 PM

Villain had tried to buy the pot a few times, but mostly checked. He almost always bet the turn with a bet like this regardless of his hand.

BTW, his turn bet convinced me that he had a weak K or A and had missed completely.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain had tried to buy the pot a few times, but mostly checked. He almost always bet the turn with a bet like this regardless of his hand.

BTW, his turn bet convinced me that he had a weak K or A and had missed completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you should go with your instincts, but I'm certain allin is not the best move. Why not just bet the pot, it's cheaper. Either way, I think there is a better way to play these hands, and check-check isn't so good, IMO.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:18 PM

I fold the river. I don't think that villian is laying down his hand especially if he caught his ace (which is likely) and because you are already ITM. I agree with everyone and bet the flop though. A substantial bet at that.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold the river. I don't think that villian is laying down his hand especially if he caught his ace (which is likely) and because you are already ITM. I agree with everyone and bet the flop though. A substantial bet at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why fold the river when you just have to call 300?
Old 07-26-2005, 04:50 PM

Absolutely zero chance that anyone folds here. 6:1 odds to call makes it an auto-call most of the time.

There is ~t2150 in the pot giving the winner a huge stack. The option then is call (we are beat by any Q, 7, 8, A, PP or flush) or represent a flush and push all-in to put his tourney life in jeopardy.

Since I had him on a weak K, Villain can ONLY call with a flush, that or fold.......

Slacker