Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2004, 03:41 PM

Default Are we playing bad NL holdem?

Me and 6 other guys have been playing a home NL poker for the last few months and an obvious pattern has arisen that makes me wonder if the table is betting poorly or if our ante structure (.25/.50) is too low.

At PF, there are a lot of limp calls and very few raises during our play rounds.
When the flop comes, it becomes painfully obvious when someone hits TPTK and wants to push out anyone considering betting on a flush draw/OESD. Too often, TPTK player will overbet the pot by almost two times to ensure that drawing hands stop in their tracks.

Is there overkill betting going on here? Is the problem caused by poor PF strategy at the table? Is this the way it should be?
I think part of the problem is that nobody (other than myself) knows any math theory. I think many of us have found that the other guy will call a pot-sized bet looking for the flush/OESD on the turn or river. So, overbetting is the only way to win the pot.

What are your thoughts on this rather Loose-Passive table?
Old 10-25-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Are we playing bad NL holdem?

A couple things. Raising sufficiently before the flop is another way to make draws pay. Why not make suited connectors pay to see the flop when you're holding a big ace?

Overbetting the pot is a good way to get trapped. If you overbet the pot, you'll probably only get called by a set/made hand.

Everyone already knows that stuff.

I'm primarily a no-limit player. I have noticed that limit players don't realize that calling a pot-sized bet on the flop with an OESD or flush draw is incorrect when strictly speaking about math and pot odds. Calling can be correct for implied odds reasons if you know your opponents, but I'll talk to why it is incorrect for strictly pot odds reasons.

Calling a bet getting 2-1 pot odds is ok if you're truly 2-1 to hit your card, but in no-limit, you may face another pot-sized bet on the turn. Your chances of hitting on the turn are 4-1, not 2-1. If you miss on the turn, you'll be priced out of the hand before the river with another pot-sized bet getting 2-1 pot odds for another 4-1 shot.

Sounds like your table pays off hidden hands like sets so calling with any two may be correct if you won't face a preflop raise. When folks overbet the pot against you, it is easy to milk them for a large pot.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Are we playing bad NL holdem?

you are probably not raising enough preflop. this strategy is fine with small stacks against calling stations. if you play deep stacks against good opponents, you will get raped prison-style.