Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 07:32 PM

Default A good read and a bad beat... Was there another way?

As all good players should do, I often find myself second guessing what appears to be a great read on my opponent. It makes me wonder whether I'm just too aggressive when I know I have the best hand, or whether I am just experiencing the same short-term bad luck that any pro would also experience (assuming they play it like I do). My table image is very good and I rarely showdown a bad hand or dumb play. But I often lose to a villain that I know plays poorly, and that I should get a big reward from.

Here is how this situation unfolded:
Hero starts off with Js5c in the big blind.

Pre-flop:
Villain calls. Two other callers. Hero checks.

Flop (board: 7c Jc 5h):
Hero checks. Villain bets the pot of $10. Two other callers folds. Back to BB, Hero raises $30. Villain goes all-in for $50. Hero calls for another $20.

Turn (board: 7c Jc 5h 3c):

River (board: 7c Jc 5h 3c 3s):

Showdown:
Villain shows Kc Ks.
Villain has Kc Ks Jc 3c 3s: two pair, kings and threes.
Hero mucks cards.(Hero has Js 5c.)

I had a very good read on Villain's very loose and poor play style (indicative of his PF limp with KK from EP). I checked my hand because I knew that Villain would bet the pot, even if he had nothing. When he bet on the flop, I put him on nothing to possibly TPTK. I had been playing him for a while, and he was very aggressive when he paired with anything on the board or when the board was scary. Seeing the flush draw, I was confident his bet signified at least top pair, but unlikely a set with my J5 trumping two set possibilities.

I overbet the pot with an amount that would have probably put him all-in for the remainder of his chips. I thought I bet large enough for him to let go at this point and recognize that a pair wasn't going to take this pot, but didn't consider that he was aggressive and unable to laydown hands like KK.

Unfortunately, this type of play of mine seems to cause me a lot of money and I have seen it all too often. I've had other similar situations, where the villain was on a flush draw instead and a similar all-in scenario ensues.

The only other playable option I can think of is to make a call and then bet hard on the turn, no matter what. Is this a preferred technique? It seems like there is more advantage to my method in just winning the pot right there and avoiding a suck-out, although I still get hammered anyway.

What are your thoughts?
Old 04-17-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: A good read and a bad beat... Was there another way?

[ QUOTE ]

What are your thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd love to get all my money in as a 3-1 favorite, though really this belongs in pot/no limit forum.

Mike
Old 04-17-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: A good read and a bad beat... Was there another way?

Sorry... I didn't notice the difference in the categories. I'd move the post if I could.

Thanks for your comment anyway.