Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2004, 01:58 PM

Default True Online Tells?

I have read about a few online tells, but wanted to get the consensus of 2+2ers. I think picking off online tells is probably dangerous, as it doesn't have the same value as in a B&M game.
I'm familiar with the tell where the person has auto-checked his hand ahead of time.
The one I'm concerned with is when you pause to think about your hand and whether you are going to bet, check or fold. I do this sometimes, and I wonder how much of a red flag this really is.
Some delays could very well be a person getting interrupted in their house or even taking a bathroom break. It seems silly to think that a paused bet represents a medium/strong hand when you bet.
But if everyone feels that way, then I must take that into consideration. What is the consensus on what players should or should not be thinking when a player has a periodic pause in his bet? A Tell or wishful thinking?
Old 11-09-2004, 05:46 PM

Default Re: True Online Tells?

The only "true" online tell is an opponent's betting patterns and your past experience with that opponent.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:40 PM

With the amount of people who multi-table I would hardly consider a paused bet as a tell.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:57 PM

Paused bet isn't a reliable tell, but a quick bet could be.

For example, I have JJ in a NL game in the cut-off. I raise to 4xBB and button calls very quickly. I then put him on a middle pair. Big pairs he'd have to consider raising. Connectors/small pairs, he'd have to consider folding.

Board comes down with 4 spades, I have the Js. He makes a decent size bet on river. I call. He flips TT.

You also see quick calls on the flop in limit when people are on a flush draw.

The moral....pausing won't give your hand away. However, if you have an easy decision, you may want to wait 1-2 seconds anyway to avoid letting everyone know you have an easy decision.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:29 PM

i've never taken it too seriously but often, say, with a floped monster in late position, i'll find myself pausing to give off the impression that it's a close decision between betting and checking, thus perhaps drawing more people into the pot if they think i don't have much. i think it's most certainly better than the uber-fast bet when it gets to you, but again, nothing to waste too much time thinking about.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:57 PM

On party, an instantaneous call tells you that someone has clicked the check/call checkbox. They were not going to bet if you checked to them.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:26 PM

I think this might be a slight tell. I don't put much stock into it, but I try to make sure I act with the same timing to avoid giving a tell (except when I plan to fold, because folding is a big enough tell). Figure out about the longest you need to think on close calls within reason, and do a mental count on easy calls. Also think about your moves ahead of time, so that your mental count isn't absurdly long.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:29 PM

There are indeed numerous multi-tablers playing online, so many pauses will be just a matter of toggling between screens.

Best policy for online is to bet your hand, regardless of the pauses.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:33 PM

At small stakes games, online tells are worth less than they are at B&M games. And at B&M games, they're way overrated anyway.

My tell is that when I 4-bet the river I usually have a pretty good hand.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:48 PM

i think it can be a tell if you can link it to a person over a long period of time. i think quick acting is more of a tell. i actually vary my response times to keep people from getting any read.