Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2004, 03:38 AM

Default When is all-in a bad move?

Hello,

I know there are many scenarios when all-in is a bad move. However, I recently had two semi-bad beat issues happen to me where I lost an all-in bet at the river.
So, I am trying to determine whether it was bad luck or bad play.
The scenario:
No-limit and on 4th street... me and one other player are still in the hand. I know I have top pair with a decent kicker and my opponent is drawing dead to a flush or open-ended straight.
I go all-in, the other player calls and I am correct on my assumption when he flips his cards. However, I lose at the river as my opponent makes his draw.

Is there ever a scenario where a good read and an all-in move for a decent pot size is a poor idea?
I can only see it as a bad move if the pot size is small and I am hoping for callers so that I can gamble on the odds that he won't make the draw.
But if my goal is to outright win the pot uncontested, is my all-in option the right thing to do every time?

TIA,
Doug
Old 10-25-2004, 03:50 AM

Default Re: When is all-in a bad move?

[ QUOTE ]
my opponent is drawing dead to a flush or open-ended straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean? straight/flush draws are very live against a pair.

Anyway, if you get all your chips in as a favorite it was good, that's all you can ask for.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:18 AM

Let me correct myself. NOT drawing dead. (sorry bout that)
I'm referring to Live Pair versus Flush Draw/OESD.
Basically, if the pot size is right, is there ever a bad reason to go all-in if you have the Live Pair and you know your opponent is on a draw?
If my math is right, I'm about a 80% sure win if only one card is left to flip.
I just want to make sure that I am not forgetting something that I should be keeping in mind prior to going all-in.

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:26 AM

If you are a favorite to win the hand you should jump at the chance to get all of your chips in the middle. If you get drawn out on that's just the variance that's inherent in this stupid game. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

P.S. If he has 9 outs against you (i.e. flush draw) you're slightly better than 80% to win. Getting all in with 80% equity is a good move. This doesn't necessarily make his call wrong (that's dependant on the size of the pot and the size of the bet) but what's important is that your play was good.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:43 AM

Thanks Evan. That's what I was trying to determine.
I didn't know whether stack size or other factors are involved that I should be concerned with.
Obviously, if I'm wrong about them drawing to a flush/oesd, then that's a whole other issue to contend with.