Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Re: jobs are important ?

Before I went back to my cushy life with Mason and 2+2, I seriously considered being a nurse. It's a noble enough job, you certainly help people, and it can be a decent living. It would still be my first choice if the poker gods get nasty.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:37 AM

I don't even see how someone could survive without a job. I have $400 in my bank account right now, and not enough to pay rent for next month. Lucky for me, I got a job today, so I'm good to go again.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:38 AM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know that its all that crazy, it seems reasonable to me. There was a time when I didn't have a job or go to school when I was 19. I drained my bank account and eventually got a job but didn't get back into school for another 2 years. Four years just seemed too long. One day it just clicked and I registered for school. I don't know what made me do it. Somehow my attitude changed and I was thinking about getting through the class that was in front of me and I slowly broadened my view.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was jobless for 3 years myself and had issues similar to the .. "PERSON ?" we're talking about in this post. it's not that i think they're crazy for not wanting a job (that seems pretty normal to me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) or not having one (it's hard to get one, too), i meant they're crazy when they get into the talk about how having a job is worthless because it only helps the government and you get nothing from it. or that it's pointless because they have debt. i just have a hard time relating to that way of thinking ?

i remember once in the past they made a comment about how it was stupid to give $3 in a card for someone (someone else was putting money in a card and only had three ones) and it should either be $5 or nothing.

it's like $7 an hour sucks too much so they'd rather have $0 an hour.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:41 AM

i feel sympathy and sorrow for this person, and empathetically i understand where he is coming from. he has all this debt over his head, no skills, no prospects, no future. theres no reason for him to try, because no matter how hard he tries he will fail at living a life better then what he has already. its not fair for the people he mooches off of, but im sure he realizes this. he doesnt care enough about the people hes mooching off of because he doesnt even care about himself.

he needs to find a way to become self-sufficient and find a way to have happiness. but thats obvious, even to him. however, he doesnt have a solution to this problem because there likely isnt one, so he doesnt try. hes either waiting for time to pass him by or hes hoping tommorow never comes.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

this person is 28 years old, in debt 25,000 does not have a college degree (some school but never finished, which is where a lot of the debt came from) and is stuck on the reasoning that having a job and money does not equal happiness and how it's pointless to get a crappy job working for $7 doing something they hate because they'll never get out of debt anyway. ? they think they've ruined the rest of their life because they'll never be able to have the things they wanted in life like a house etc so why bother ?

right now they live with someone that supports them but the person supporting them doesn't like this, and doesn't treat them very well because of it.

i should also mention they have been really unlucky with jobs in the past. and have done the whole temp agency thing and usually get let go too soon when they do find something they can do, or quit because they can't stand the job. so their job history does not look too good. they get turned down a lot for jobs when they do send resumes and i think they've given up.

don't post if you're just going to say mean stuff. i would like some advice on how you'd handle this if it was someone you cared about ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The person in question sounds very immature, and more likely than not has a substance abuse problem. Furthermore, anyone financially supporting this person, or otherwise making excuses for this person (such as by saying that "they have been really unlucky with jobs"), almost certainly has her own problems with codependency.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...he's either waiting for time to pass him by or hes hoping tommorow never comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

damn that was slightly harsh. Especially that last part there. Could you rephrase it?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:59 AM

Pizza delivery drivers and barbacks make about 12.00 per hour. I see help wanted signs at convienence stores in vegas offering 8.50/ hr + benefits.

If a person has enough brainpower to be philosophical and idealisitic, they can make more than 7.00/hr.

Sometimes the best way to deal with someone you care for is to take a very hard line. I went through this with my little brother who is 21 and hasn't left home. He wanted to move in with me and I told him that would be fine, provided he got a job within one week. Somehow that didn't appeal to him and he managed to find a job trimming trees for 15.00/ hr. He hasn't moved out, but it's a start.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:29 AM

You want a place to stay? I'll be your sugar daddy.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:45 AM

It sounds to me like the person is clinically depressed. I would seriously try to make them see a psychiatrist.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:47 AM

Default also...

If I couldn't find a job and my situation looked hopeless, I would get a dishwashing job at a ski area. Hopefully they would give a season ski pass too. You will still end up middle aged and broke but at least you spend your free time doing something awesome.