Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Do Al\'s Rants Make You Tip More or Less?

I've always tipped dealers. I haven't gone crazy with it, but its always a buck or more except on the smallest pots. I have only stiffed the most terrible dealers (and by terrible, I mean ones who have a terrible attitude or are completely incompetent <.1%).

But after the continual ranting and raving by Al Capone, it just makes me want to not tip ever again. If you are so unhappy in your job, QUIT! Are all dealers this way? It seems all the dealers who post on this forum are. They get all offended when poker players don't respect them like they are doing some noble profession.

It just makes me wonder, are all dealers friendly to your face, and then rude as hell behind your backs? Everyone that isn't part of your B&M special club deserves a kick in the balls?

Maybe it is just his style of humor that just doesn't come across well on the internet, but honestly, I think it is hurting more than its helping. It seems that dealers only have respect for their special regulars, and everyone else is a scumbag who deserves to get kicked in the nuts. You have a lot of helpful information, but honestly, tone it down a little.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Do Al\'s Rants Make You Tip More or Less?

I am not a dealer, but I have worked in the service industries before(and plan to do so again in the future). Let me just say this: be glad that they do it behind your back. Dealers, waiters, bartenders, etc. are all people, just like the people they serve. It is a tough job, because you cannot react like you want to when someone is rude to you. It is your job to smile, apologize, eat crow, and humble yourself to this person, simply because they are the customer.

So...you have to be able to release all of that some way. I'd much prefer ACJ, photoc, and any other 2+2 dealers to vent their frustrations here than at their jobs, and possibly put themselves at risk of unemployment.

Also...I happen to think the ACJ standard is hilarious, and I have met many players indeed deserving of a kick in the nuts. If you, Tom, are so thin-skinned that you can't handle the fact that dealers may not actually like you, then maybe poker is not for you.

And:

[ QUOTE ]
You have a lot of helpful information, but honestly, tone it down a little.

[/ QUOTE ] In the words of Les "Worm" Murphy, tone what down, motherf***er?
Old 07-26-2005, 01:12 PM

Once a session, after I win a pot, I'll stand up, take a $1 chip off my stack, reach it out towards the dealer, then bow down and say, "THIS ONE'S FOR AL" and then pull it back and put it in my pocket.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:19 PM

If that's a joke, that's pretty funny. If you're serious, you are one strange individual, and mean.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:20 PM

The thing you fail to realize is that Al Capone does not simply start ranting and raving out of the blue. He does it as a response to the nonsense posts regarding tipping.

The posts are nonsense for (at least) two reasons. 1) Tipping posts have been done to death. 2) If you (not you personally) don’t tip, then just don’t tip. Do what you want. But, get on with your life. There are few here that really want to hear about it. Most don’t agree with not tipping, so what is the point of talking about it? Either way, refer back to reason 1 – it has been done to death.

Had Al all of a sudden starting ranting and raving about people not tipping, then I would kick him in the nuts next time I come to Vegas. That is not the case.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:21 PM

You deserve a kick in the nuts. Al's points are almost always dead-on.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Once a session, after I win a pot, I'll stand up, take a $1 chip off my stack, reach it out towards the dealer, then bow down and say, "THIS ONE'S FOR AL" and then pull it back and put it in my pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is that the pot is at least one, and likely more than one, bet short of what it could have been, since our friend Sekrah plays weak-tight poker [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. So his tip maneuver, funny as it may be, is intensely ironic on a larger scale when you consider that the fish essentially were offering Sekrah THEIR chips earlier in the hand he won, but pulled them back from him when he didn't value bet or raise. Sekrah's taunt of the dealer is, roughly 1/4 (at 2/4) or 1/6 (3/6) as significant as the fish's taunt of Sekrah (assuming he misses only one river bet).

Maybe that should be a new term for value betting... "This one's for Sekrah... I bet."
Old 07-26-2005, 01:35 PM

I always value bet with the best hand.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I always value bet with the best hand.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Always? I think not!

PWNED!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 01:52 PM

Where did I say in that post that I didn't raise? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Read another one of my posts in that thread.. I was posting it for a nuts-fearing friend who questioned my decision.