Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 01:27 PM

Default OH MY GOD I CASHED! (event26)

i'll post a longer trip report later when i'm back home, but i wanted to brag -- i entered the ladies' nlhe event (601 entrants, 54pay) and managed to take 49th for my buy-in back plus 300 bucks. including surviving a bad beat that busted me down to about 4 rounds' worth of chips (blinds and antes) when we were about 20 away from the money -- i built it back up to about 12K with a couple of good hands and a well-timed stop-and-go with nothing, and stayed in it until the money when i reraised all in with AK and ran into AA.

during the middle rounds, i did a whole lot of stealign from all positions, and generally was an aggressive bitch -- this is definitely the result of reading posts here, so thanks, folks.

given that i thought i was goign to be dead money, i'm delightd. i felt like i had my A game for the whol tourney and didn't make any particularly stupid mistakes (well, one, but i survived it.)
Old 06-27-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: OH MY GOD I CASHED! (event26)

congrats! woot woot another 2+2er doin well
Old 06-27-2005, 01:31 PM

Congrats.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:34 PM

Congrats, I can't till I can afford to play an event or two. (within the next two years hopefully)

Did you get to meet Jennifer Tilly?
Old 06-27-2005, 01:45 PM

"and generally was an aggressive bitch"

You're so hot. I love it.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:45 PM

Hey, I live in Somerville also. Congratulations.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:02 PM

Nice Going!
Old 06-28-2005, 01:09 PM

Congrats! I hope you don't play any of the Boston games I play in....
Old 06-30-2005, 08:04 AM

Default longer tourney report

my chipcount at the start of each round:

1. 1000
2. 1600
3. 1575
4. ~1800
5. 8300
6. 7475
7. 14850
8. 13400 (up from a low of about 2500 during round 7)

i busted out on the last hand of round 8.

in the first couple of rounds, i was two seats to the left of a woman who didn't seem to meet a draw she didn't like and who made all of them. she busted several people, and accumulated a large chipstack. i didn't tangle with her for the most part until she'd bled off some chips and i had a very solid hand.

she was the chip leader at the break with something like 10K chips. i waited and eventually got some good hands that stood up and got some of her chips. i played fairly tight in the early rounds, but once the very loose players died off, i opened up and started stealing a lot of blinds.

i was stealing from all positions, including under the gun. sometimes a few times in one round and then sit out a round and then back to it.

i got a couple of really good hands around level 4, too, and took down several good pots which built my stack to 8K.

in round 6, i managed to keep stealing blinds faster than i was paying them (also, there were antes by then), and pushed a few times to take down some pots without having to show cards.

round 7, i was doing okay and then suffered a hellacious bad beat. i had a pair of kings and did my usual pre-flop raise to 3BB's. a player in mid-position reraised and i pushed. she thought for a long time and called. she had 99 but made a set to double up.

i was down to less than 3000 chips, with a $50 ante and $200/400 blinds. but i knew nothing i did for several hands would get respect -- people would assume i was tilting.

so i waited for nearly a round till i picked up AA UTG and ended up doubling up to nearly 5K. then i stole a few blinds and picked up a couple of smaller pots. and then i made my biggest mistake -- i was in the small blind and picked up 5-3o. i thought it had been folded around, so i did a minimum raise, expecting the BB to fold and i'd pick up the pot. except she folded and then i noticed that there was someone else in the pot. oops.

i ended up betting and picking up the pot when i pushed at the end, having stumbled into 2 pair. sometimes the poker gods watch over fools.

i picked up a few pots with stop-and-go's, too.

in the middle of round 8, our table was broken and i was moved to the left of kathy liebert, two to the left of the monster chipstack on the table. later, jennifer tilly sat down to the right of the monster chipstack.

we went hand-for-hand at 55 players until we were out of the bubble and everyone left was in the money. there was a big round of applause for the lady who came in 55th (the last unpaid place). after that, i ended up losing some of my chips when i chased a flush draw (2 hearts on the flop) with suited overcards.

i stole kathy liebert's blinds at one point, but i was kind of dumb about it. we'd only recently gone up to 300/600 blinds and the fact that i was about to try to steal the blinds of someone who i've seen win a million dollars playing poker on tv... well... i had a moment of stupid. i fumbled with my chips, i got kind of scatterbrained and nervous and forgot how much the BB was and bet the appropriate amount for the previous (400BB) level, 1200. which looked like a minimum-raise. and, flustered, i said "1200, please".

it folded around to liebert, who said "what, you want me to give you 1200?" "well, sure. although it's only 600 since you've got that out there. i mean, if you wanted to give me 1200 more that would be cool. although i bet i'd have to show cards for that." and she folded.

i expect i ended up looking like someone who suddenly had AA or some other monster hand.

the monster stack was playing a great big stack bully, betting hard and making sure everyone had to pay to see the end of the hand. the last hand of round 8, i reraised all-in pre-flop with AK but she had AA and while one K on the board was nice, it wasn't quite enough to get me the hand and i was out in 49th place.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Re: longer tourney report

[ QUOTE ]
i got kind of scatterbrained and nervous and forgot how much the BB was and bet the appropriate amount for the previous (400BB) level, 1200. which looked like a minimum-raise. and, flustered, i said "1200, please".

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this recently in a live tourney. The blinds had just gone up but I had forgotten, and I open-raised in MP with KQo to 1200 when the blinds were 300/600. I didn't notice until the dealer said something. The BB gave me this look and said he thought he had the best hand but folds. I of course lied several times saying "Not unless you have a huge hand". He said he had ace-rag, I told him I had a big ace and was "trying to be tricky". I tried to say it as sorrowful as possible, as if I had actually gotten caught with a huge hand and my opponent made a superior read.

Moral: sometimes being stupid is being smart [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]