Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 08:18 PM

Default AJs on Button - 30/60

Thoughts about this beauty? Not sure if I played it reponsibly or just plain scared.

As far as I can tell, UTG+1 is a solid player in most every respect. I have seen him quite a bit in this game, and never out of line.

CO is an 11% VpIp 2.5% PFR type. I can usually tell when he has something on the flop.

When this hand came along, I hadn't played a hand in about three orbits. Depending upon the opponents, I will probably fold this hand 30% of the time, call 40%, and raise the other 30%. The truth is that I don't know the best play pre-flop.

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (7.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero???????
Old 05-09-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: AJs on Button - 30/60

I'm with you on being uncertain in this spot. It's unclear to me what he has. Do you think he would he c/r you with a weaker hand if you bet?

Call me crazy, but I like betting the turn here.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:16 PM

I normally play smaller stakes, but what about folding PF?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:17 PM

Yobz;

I guess I didn't say it too well up top....I think that folding AJs under these circumstances is a good play. I think I said that I fold this hand 30% of the time. In reality, if there is a raise and a call, I probably fold this hand more like 50 - 60% of the time here. Occasionally, however, I will play it and considering my tight image at the time, I felt like a raise was the only way to go.

For the record, though, I learned a long time ago that AJ and AJs are serious trouble hands against early position raises. Folding is a good play, as this can can get you in a lot of tough spots, as you can see. Just because I know the correct play doesn't mean that I will make it every single time. Unfortunately.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm with you on being uncertain in this spot. It's unclear to me what he has. Do you think he would he c/r you with a weaker hand if you bet?

Call me crazy, but I like betting the turn here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's certainly an odd line the villian took, checkraise the flop and then check twice. I'm inclined to bet the river. Perhaps he was overplaying a small PP and hoped to get you to laydown the flop? 77, 99?
Old 05-10-2005, 11:07 AM

You should fold this preflop if UTG is a solid player.