Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 03:12 AM

Default Re: My Tourney Report on the $2,500 WSOP No Limit

AAATT vs. 8888

88 vs. AT on a 88TAA board?

(just curious)
Old 07-04-2005, 04:13 AM

That was it. I had A10 of spades on the big blind, with about three limpers in an unraised pot. Flop comes A-8-10. I make small bet and get one caller. An Ace comes on turn and I have full house and the nuts. I underbet the pot and he calls. We were both kind of slowplaying but to the other players it would appear as a routine pot. An 8 comes on the river I bet and he reraises all-in and I of course call losing to his quad eights. I was surprised to see that I didn't have the winning hand to say the least. There a lot of loose players in those satellites and it isn't uncommon to see above scenario play out the same except with one guy having middle pair and other guy bottom pair.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He could have a calling hand this time so I elect to call and outplay him on flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit that made me laugh. Great trip report though and congratulations on your cashes. Well done.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't stress the importance of taking a second to analyze each and every hand you play in instead making moves without thinking. Every time I make a major mistake it is because of acting too hastily, when only thinking about it for 20 seconds would have saved me from possible disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post. I need to remember the above as I have lost many tourneys acting hastily on impulse while a little bit of reflection would have saved me the day. You need incredible stamina to win a tourney. Reminds me of those Kung Fu movies where everytime you kill 10 villains another 10 appear and the fighting seems to go on endlessly. Somewhere along the line you lose patience for a little while and you are out of the game!

Stamina is needed such that discipline can hold up!
Old 07-04-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have QJ of diamonds and raise trying to steal the blinds and antes, which are hefty now. A young Asian kid, who kept playing back at me every time I went after his blind, called my raise. Flop came 10/9/4 with two diamonds. So I had a flush draw, outside straight draw and two overs, an awesome flop. Just with the flush and straight draw, I am a slight favorite over a set of tens, against a pair of tens a huge favorite. He checks and something in my gut tells me he is going to check raise and I bet 4,000. He check raises me to 10,000. He only has about 3,000 chips more so I tell him that I'll put him all-in. He flips over 10/9 for top two pair, my worst case scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratz on your cash, but this statement threw me off. You are not a favorite over a set of tens you are actually a 57/43 dog...this is your worst case scenario not top 2 pair where you are actually a slight favorite. How big of a favorite depends on which ranks are of your suit.