Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Weak River Fold?

Against a passive player I think bet/fold is the best line. Well played.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to bet and fold to a raise, might as well check-call. Against a passive player, check folding is also an option

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think button pays off here with a worse hand a lot of the time? I think we're getting a call from a clubless ace here some of the time, maybe some worse hands, and we're only getting raised by a hand that's clearly beating us. When we check and this player bets were a pretty big dog so I like a bet/fold first, and then maybe a check/fold as a candidate for a close second.

[/ QUOTE ]

No i dont think there are many worse hands paying of here. I'd rather pay one bet and see a showdown, rather than paying one bet to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP played it correctly. Check call is abysmal.

Krishan
Old 07-01-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to bet and fold to a raise, might as well check-call. Against a passive player, check folding is also an option

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking check/call is better just because you get to see a showdown is a huge leak IMO. His raise on the river is essentially the same as him yelling across the table that he has a high club. Might as well take the line that gives you the most value.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thinking check/call is better just because you get to see a showdown is a huge leak IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected, one less leak to plug
Old 07-01-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think button pays off here with a worse hand a lot of the time? I think we're getting a call from a clubless ace here some of the time, maybe some worse hands, and we're only getting raised by a hand that's clearly beating us. When we check and this player bets were a pretty big dog so I like a bet/fold first, and then maybe a check/fold as a candidate for a close second.

[/ QUOTE ]

No i dont think there are many worse hands paying of here. I'd rather pay one bet and see a showdown, rather than paying one bet to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP played it correctly. Check call is abysmal.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on now, check call is soooo far from abysmal. I think it's obviously the correct line, but reagrdless of whether or not its best, there is no legitimate argument you can make for it being abysmal. You invest the same 1 bet and ALWAYS see showdown in a decent pot where you have a showdownable hand. You induce bluffs from hands that wouldnt call a bet anyway. You also get bad "value bets" from worse two pairs who figure they have you beat. You also NEVER get bluff raised byu the donk who has red nines and made it to the river and thinks, "hmmm, scary card i'll bluff raise". To me to this seems far superior to the bet/fold line.

Gabe
Old 07-01-2005, 02:09 PM

How often does a passive player bluff raise this river, especially when we've shown amazing strength from start to finish? Against a more tricky, aggro opponent we wouldn't be having this conversation because inducing a bluff is much more likely. This is simply not the case here.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:15 PM

Looks like a standard Clarkmeister's Theorem play. Nice hand.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You invest the same 1 bet and ALWAYS see showdown in a decent pot where you have a showdownable hand. You induce bluffs from hands that wouldnt call a bet anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is loose and passive. This board is as scary to him as it is to us. If we check and he bets and we call, we can expect to lose this pot almost 100% of the time. He's not going to bluff the river.

[ QUOTE ]
You also get bad "value bets" from worse two pairs who figure they have you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a chance, but he'll probably call with these hands.

[ QUOTE ]
You also NEVER get bluff raised byu the donk who has red nines and made it to the river and thinks, "hmmm, scary card i'll bluff raise".

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.