Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: RESULTS and a Thought

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else think it would have been a good idea to toss this and keep stealing since that has been so successful?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, i don't think that. because that would have really dumb.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:04 PM

Hard to toss QQ here, that thinking might be too results oriented. Stealing had been successful for you in this tourny, but would you really rather do that than hit a big hand once in a while?

Daniel and Juanda's advice probably applies to pushing marginal hands/edges, which QQ is not. If you're not going to play the ladies here, where would you play them?

I think you played it correctly, you just ran into 1 of the 2 hands that had you beat. Unlucky, but this is the game we have chosen...
Old 04-25-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Big Stack on the bubble

Why push instead of just reraising?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:12 PM

I guess I'm the only idiot who doesn't lose 1/2 his stack here for that very reason you're only getting called by a hand that beats you on the bubble. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I'll gladly save those chips and use them to steal with my T8s.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hard to toss QQ here, that thinking might be too results oriented. Stealing had been successful for you in this tourny, but would you really rather do that than hit a big hand once in a while?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hit a big hand? I did that once this tourney [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm not doubting the push was right. I really think that it was.

I'm just starting to end up with a big stack later in tourney's. I used to just be the small stack having to grind my way to victory.

I'm just trying to figure the difference in equity between stealing my way up to say $40,000 for the final table with no risk or playing a big pot with a stack that can cut me in half or give me $50,000 right now. This is a bit of an extreme example. Just food for thought.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:30 PM

If your push is only going to get called by AA and KK and sometimes (??) AK, and villain will fold worse hands then I can safely tell you that a push is not correct.

What you decide to do in this hand depends a lot of the dynamic you have set up as the big stack. Are you bullying? Are you correctly putting many medium stacks and other sized stacks to the test? I've been so wild that if I pushed in this spot it would be a crime to fold a hand like TT or AJ against me, even if you were on the bubble...

So...

If you are a tightwad and he's only calling with la crem de la crem of poker hands, then take a flop. If there is any chance he'd call a raise with AQ, JJ, or worse, then obviously get more chips in the pot preflop.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What you decide to do in this hand depends a lot of the dynamic you have set up as the big stack. Are you bullying? Are you correctly putting many medium stacks and other sized stacks to the test? I've been so wild that if I pushed in this spot it would be a crime to fold a hand like TT or AJ against me, even if you were on the bubble...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pushing this whole table around and just never showing a hand. Some of the medium stacks have been whining (not the villan though) and this table has been so tight that I think they are waiting for the nuts to come over the top of me. So it's really been easy to get away from marginal hands.

Jason, if you take a flop here and it comes rags what's your play?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:35 PM

I am sure this has been said, but this is WAAAY result-oriented. Sometimes, the other guy just has a better hand and you can't be walking around scared with QQ.

To wit:

[ QUOTE ]
In other words, with that many chips, you don’t have to take the worst of it if the situation doesn’t warrant it

[/ QUOTE ]

9 out of ten you don't have the worst of it here and this situation DID warrant it.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:30 PM

There really is no reason to re-raise here to 10k. If we get reraised we have to call since we have 5:1 on our money. Push all the chips in the middle and make your opponent make the decision. If you want to help your image show your cards if he folds.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:20 PM

I'm likely losing my money.