Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2004, 07:56 PM

Default A couple of pocket pair river questions

These hands don't have much to do with each other, except that they are both pocket pair hands where I feel like I might have misplayed the river.

Hand 1:

Very loose passive table.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (3 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (3 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: 5 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 5 BB, between UTG+1 and Hero.</font>

Hand 2:

SB is a TAG. BB is loose passive

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.50 BB, between Hero, SB and BB.</font>
Old 10-19-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Re: A couple of pocket pair river questions

1) raise the river

2) I'd probably check behind and expect to win (retarded?). Getting check-raised here sucks.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) raise the river

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is tiny and nobody has shown any strength. Do I stand a better chance of winning more bets by raising rather than going for overcalls?
Old 10-19-2004, 08:10 PM

There's no garauntee anyone will overcall. If someone bets they're likely to call a raise.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:02 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I agree with Evan about the first hand, but I'd bet hand 2. The reason for this is that most people won't check-raise in this situation. Think about if you had the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Would you check, hoping to check-raise or would you bet, just being happy with whatever bets you can get in? I'd go with the latter. A lot of your opponents will feel the same way. If I bet, I'm more concerned about being called by a better [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] than raised by one. I'll still bet though, because most of the time, if they call the turn, they usually have enough of a hand to call the river, even with 4 of a suit out there.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:04 PM

Do you call a river c/r in hand 2?