Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 06:50 AM

Default No tax for European poker players!!

For some time, the consensus has been that EU citizens should not pay taxes when playing at sites within EU, but it's not always easy to know where a site has its legal base.

Interesting enough, Eurobet now has started with banner ads on swedish site(s) with the message "Worlds largest poker network - no tax on your poker winnings".

Image link: www.wsop.info/se/bannere/eb468x60.gif

Adde
Old 05-25-2005, 07:13 AM

Default Re: No tax for European poker players!!

thats very interesting. i wonder if they say that with knowledge and authority or is it just an advertisement. caveat empor(sp?)
Old 05-25-2005, 07:29 AM

Interesting indeed. Not that I pay taxes on my poker winnings as it is now, but still...

Old 05-25-2005, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For some time, the consensus has been that EU citizens should not pay taxes when playing at sites within EU, but it's not always easy to know where a site has its legal base.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is false. Poker winnings are taxed in EU, but only in the land where the operator is. As it happens the tax on poker in UK/Gibraltar/Malta etc is 0% so effectively it is tax free for the player.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is false. Poker winnings are taxed in EU, but only in the land where the operator is. As it happens the tax on poker in UK/Gibraltar/Malta etc is 0% so effectively it is tax free for the player.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isnt true, there are no EU wide tax rules.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The praxis in EU is that there isn't supposed to be double taxation. EU has a tax directive, you know.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The praxis in EU is that there isn't supposed to be double taxation. EU has a tax directive, you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the UK started taxing income tax on Gambling winnings then I would be liable for income tax wherever the money is earned, the only way it would be different is if I resided in Gibralter part of the year enough to pay tax at source there, then the agreement would be in effect and some sort of netting off takes place.

I am pretty sure I am right(but could concede I could be talking crap) but may be working in Ireland shortly and am looking into this as it affects me, but when I have looked into it in the past thats the impression I have.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:45 AM

i wonder if they say that with knowledge and authority or is it just an advertisement. caveat empor(sp?)

That's my concern too. I asked them about a year ago, and tipped them to pay a tax consultant to get to know for sure, and then advertise to swedish players like they do now, but they gave the usual form letter reply, "you are responsible for your own taxes...", etc.

I would email again and ask them, but the temptation is not that high, given the Party et al customer support history.

Adde
Old 05-25-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And this does work differently if I were to win the WSOP the tax agreements in place with the US for the UK mean I wouldnt have to pay tax on the winnings even though its taxable in the US.

Trouble is these tax things are all complex and murky and every country has their own rules ans quirks that in these ebusiness times dont make sense (all the vat rules round europe are a pain as well).
Old 05-25-2005, 11:22 AM

Hi,
In Norway (Europe, but not part of European Union) all pots and tournaments won lower than NOK 10,000 (appx. $1,500) is tax-free. You can win unlimited amount of money without paying tax as long as no single win is above this limit (then you tax only for that specific win).

The sites can be located everywhere.