Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: trading & poker

Thx for the link, I will read the book. How much time do you consider to be a minimum for judging skills? My data for the stock market is ~20 months where I did better than my benchmark (SX5E) and 90% of the mutual funds in the same market.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:31 PM

Why don't you post one of your successful "trades" along with the analysis you used to make your purchase and sell decisions? Just like posting hand histories, this might provide you with more serious feedback on your trading/investing abilities.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm good at poker and trading.... I also stayed at a holiday inn......

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets quit butchering the Holiday Inn Express jokes please... i like the jokes, just get it right =)

Anyways, to OP, are you calculating taxes into your poker winnings? Cause Jail for tax fraud is most likely -EV
-Ace
Old 11-09-2005, 03:41 PM

Thx so much for your advice.

1. You're talking about the cities, right? I will seriously consider your suggestion.

2. I don't have a trading plan really. At the moment I'm gathering experience and study books etc. My next step is to gather a significant trading stake.

3. I'm currently out of work & so I will probably give it a shot anyway the next months. Do I really need a thing like a "poker-business plan"? What would it contain?

My plan up to now is to
a) work really hard on my game (analysing hands, taking notes, reading articles & books)
b) play regular hours and leave enough free time for recreation etc
Old 11-09-2005, 04:52 PM

This has been covered in many, many threads on the forum already, but for a beginning poker player it is clearly better to have a job too. This is because very few people end up being able to put in "full-time" hours playing poker. Basically, having a job and playing poker in your free time means you will end up playing at least 50% of the poker you were going to play anyway.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:45 PM

How are you set with bankroll and reserve living expense funds? What are your actual living expenses?
Do you think that earning 24G your first year will allow you to accumulate large bankroll necessary to advance in stakes?
Are you prepared for several years of grinding at poker tables? How long have you been playing poker? What intensity? Do you expect burn-out from poker? Are you prepared to deal with burn-out psycologically?
What is your current win-rate approximately? Over how many hands? Do you expect the current poker environment to stay at present skill mix for long? Do you have a plan of improving your poker skills?
Unfortunately, none of these questions are addressed by your posts. People in these forums want to see most of these questions addressed by posters deciding to go pro.
If they are not addressed, the automatic assumption is that the prospective new pro will go broke. I am surprised no one asked for your handle on the sites you play.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What you said up to now: You can't do it. When you don't provide any argument the information is useless for me. If you would say: your plan is naive, because X and therefore Y that would be helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I truly wish you all the best in your endeavours.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This has been covered in many, many threads on the forum already, but for a beginning poker player it is clearly better to have a job too. This is because very few people end up being able to put in "full-time" hours playing poker. Basically, having a job and playing poker in your free time means you will end up playing at least 50% of the poker you were going to play anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is indeed the way to go. And if you haven't discovered it yet, the best way to build your poker bankroll starting at $1-2 is through smart bonus whoring (of course, solid play helps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 11-11-2005, 09:46 AM

Yeah, you're right. I'm now taking into consideration taking a job in the financial industry. I think the magic number where trading income exceeds fixed income additionally is very very high.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:08 AM

Now you are on the right track:
What people are trying to say to you is that you are asking the wrong question. That alone alows them rightly to assume that you probably wont make it neither in poker nor in stocks with your current knowledge and concepts. You have to be really careful with your future plans and heavily improve on both fields before you can make a serious attempt to beat anything - and not end up as sushi yourself!
You seem to be in some early stages of a learning curve to a master of games. Until you reached a competitive level (and right now you dont have) look out for a job first, spend time reading books and 2+2. The job wont necessarily hurt you on your way. Its not how much time you spend with learning, but the quality of your studies - which are quite suspicious (from what i see in your posts).
good luck
u