Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Admittedly I won this hand but......

Just moved to the table, few reads on villain but he's been in 6/14 pots so far but that really means nothing..

My play here seems bad though, should I have folded the flop, or pushed the turn? (not knowing opponents cards of course) assuming you've just moved to the table and don't have alot of reads. I'll include results but of course I don't expect this usually to be the opponents holding, however I thought on the river the only hand my opponent could have was a set or QQ, right? (or a really lucky AK I guess)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG ($113.20)
Button ($168.23)
Hero ($96.65)
BB ($164.45)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $4.5</font>, BB calls $4, UTG calls $4, Button folds.

Flop: ($16) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $35</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $25.

Turn: ($86) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

River: ($86) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets $20, villain raises all in ($124) hero calls (all in for $36 more)(sorry converter didn't work here)
<font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $197

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has As Js (two pair, kings and jacks).
BB has Th Ad (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins $197. </font>

Old 11-08-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Admittedly I won this hand but......

I don't like to raise AJ from the SB. Against an unknown, I fold the flop reraise thinking set. After you call the turn and he checks behind, it smells like a rat.

QQ most likely reraises PF and bets the turn. AK probably bets the turn. A set will bet the turn. It doesn't make sense for him to have a hand here aside from maybe a draw.

Post results after some discussion by the way.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:38 AM

Exactly, the turn check did look suspicious to say the least. I appreciate the reply, and you're almost certainly right about not raising with AJs there, I wouldn't have with ATs I guess its just it looks that much prettier.

I will post the results after some discussion in future sorry, just I wanted to really know the standard line for TPTK on a non-scary board vs an unknown, which is fold it seems I got lucky. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like to raise AJ from the SB. Against an unknown, I fold the flop reraise thinking set. After you call the turn and he checks behind, it smells like a rat.
This is 4 way and a must raise. Why would a set in pos raise here?

QQ most likely reraises PF and bets the turn. AK probably bets the turn. A set will bet the turn. It doesn't make sense for him to have a hand here aside from maybe a draw.
The most likely hand I put him on here were mid SC that caught a 7 or a straight or flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

The results are posted in white, just highlight them...
Old 11-08-2005, 12:53 AM

Default preflop nitpicking...

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like to raise AJ from the SB

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not? The UTG limper? Would you raise this from LP? What would you raise from SB in this situation?

thanks for your insight
Old 11-08-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: preflop nitpicking...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like to raise AJ from the SB

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not? The UTG limper? Would you raise this from LP? What would you raise from SB in this situation?

thanks for your insight

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like to play hands like AJ OOP and this hand is a perfect illustration why not.
Here is another: This hand is a bit different because I was calling a raise, but I want to illustrate some problems may arise from playing a hand like AJ OOP, limped or otherwise.

1/2 NL Live game $200 max Full Ring
Hero - $500
Villian - covers

Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the SB
LP (has been fairly active raising with any 2, just cracked my friend's KK w 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in a heavily raised pot PF. He has been fairly reasonable postflop though)
LP raises to $12 (has two cards here)
Button calls, I call in SB.

Flop (about $40) 3 J 3 rainbow.
I check. Villain bets $12. Folded to me, I raise to $30.

(My check raise is marginal at best. On a dry board, either I should have lead or check called)
Villain reraises to $67.

I am 100% certain villain does not have a 3 here. I know how he plays trips. I think he has QQ-AA. If I thought there is a 75% chance I can convince him I have a 3 and get him to fold a push I would, but it's not likely he folds an overpair here. I fold. Villain shows AJ.

I am very selective when raising from the SB and even more so when calling. AJ and AQ are reasonable to muck in the blinds against a TAG raising in EP IMO. I would rather raise with 92o on the button than make those calls.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is 4 way and a must raise. Why would a set in pos raise here?

The most likely hand I put him on here were mid SC that caught a 7 or a straight or flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

The results are posted in white, just highlight them...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because it is 4 handed, it is a must raise? Why?

I am reraising with a set 95% of the time on this board.