Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 11:35 AM

Default “National Strategy for Victory in Iraq” ignores reality

This supposed new era in Iraq is marked with a so-called "“National Strategy for Victory in Iraq” which offers no new ideas, no standards for accountability and is dismissive of the facts on the ground.

The NSIV is less of a strategy and more of a pat on the back. Much of the 35 pages is devoted to describing how well things are going. Oddly, the strategy declares on Page 5 that “Our Strategy Is Working.” On the economic front we are told, “Our restore, reform, build, strategy is achieving results.” On the political front: “Our Isolate, Engage, and Build strategy is working.” On the security front: “Our clear, hold, and build strategy is working.” With everything going so well, the NSVI reminds us that “change is coming to the region…From Kuwait to Morocco, Jordan, and Egypt, there are stirrings of political pluralism, often for the first time in generations.”
Old 11-30-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: “National Strategy for Victory in Iraq” ignores reality

Should it offer new ideas? have they had a plan all along prior to this, should they change the plan or change the strategy?

Not sure what your point is, seems like you just want all allied forces to just leave Iraq.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:11 PM

Dont straw man me by saying I want to give victory to the teraists, we know thats not true.

I am saying that me need to set tangible goals. This NSVI is strictly abstract and its main thesis is that the civilian military planners did a great job and everything is hunky dory...its not.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should it offer new ideas? have they had a plan all along prior to this, should they change the plan or change the strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would seem that the answer to this is self-evident. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am saying that me need to set tangible goals. This NSVI is strictly abstract and its main thesis is that the civilian military planners did a great job and everything is hunky dory...its not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation "The NSVI is inadequate becuase it does not contain a timetable for the withdraw of US troops."

FWIW a free and stable Iraq seems to be a pretty tangible goal to me. I do believe we have made a lot of progress towards that goal.

Stu
Old 12-01-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Do we take into account \"hearts and minds\" ?

The (conservative) Daily Telegraph newspaper in London, UK, published the results of a secret poll conducted by the British Ministry of Defense among Iraqi civilians.

Apparently, millions of Iraqis believe that suicide attacks against British troops are justified. The poll shows that up to 65 per cent of Iraqi citizens support attacks and fewer than one per cent think Allied military involvement in Iraq is helping to improve security in their country.

...It doesn't look good.

link
Old 12-01-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Do we take into account \"hearts and minds\" ?

Cocaine much? You've made about 2500 posts in the last couple hours! Down boy!