Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 04:48 AM

Default jj, middle position, m = 6

20+2 MTT, 100 entered
Blinds 100-200
My stack = 1800, M=6

Relatively loose table, folds to me in middle postion holding jacks - should I push or make a standard raise to 600 or 700?

My thinking is that I push because jj is vulnerable and I dont have enough chips to get away from the hand, even if high cards flop. But the problem with this is that a caller will get to see all five cards and maybe catch on the river - this is what happened by the way, late postion called with kq and spiked a queen on the river.

So should I raise and push the flop no matter what hits or should I just push pre-flop?

Any help appreciated.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:26 AM

Default Re: jj, middle position, m = 6

If its a loose table I probably push here, they're going to call you if you try a stop and go anyway, odds are way too good.

A raise to 600 is 1/3 of your stack, and what happens if the flop comes AQ7? You probably will have to push and run right into an overcard.

So definitely a push I think.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:16 AM

push preflop

a raise will take a large part of your stack leaving u pot commited.

PUSH
Old 11-21-2005, 09:00 AM

If I knew the other stack sizes I may suggest a normal raise here and then push any flop. That's what I normally do in these situations unless there is a really huge stack behind me in which case I may just shove it hoping that at least he will call me.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:51 AM

I would say you played it well. The call from KQ is pretty poor and you just got unlucky. I had a hand from Party $30 + 3 come up that was just the opposite. I had about the same M as you and I look down at TT. I opt for a standard raise and the BB calls. The only scare card on the flop was a J - and he called w/ AJo. Looking back on that hand I felt he made a decent call preflop because if he spikes the right card he can bust me - which is exactly what happened. Had I pushed preflop, he may have decided that AJo wasn't strong enough to commit almost half his stack to.