Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Ugh, Really bad play by me

it's really important to list the buyin. at a low buyin i think i'm calling and seeing a flop. if the flop is all unders check to the raiser and then put him all in on the flop. at a higher buy in...a big utg raise... probably fold it this early.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:49 AM

I'd fold JJ to a 8xBB raise and call in level 1 every time.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:01 AM

FOLD PF, or ck/fold that flop 3 way
Old 09-22-2005, 05:25 AM

Fold preflop, and your flop bet is just bad no matter what hand you're holding, really.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:35 AM

I would too, however I think a call is not absolutely terrible.

So long as the BB is a nice guy and doesn't do something unpleasant like raise, you'll be okay from a chip EV standpoint since you'll see a flop full of under often enough.

However, I am on the school of thought that I don't really want to commit a big chunk of my stack to playing JJ out of position against two players. I just don't see much good happening on the flop. If the flop has a J and an A, that's good, but that's not worth paying so much prelop for. If the flop an A, K, or Q, I'm stuck. I can't knock them off of the pot easily; it would be a big chunk of my stack and I would need to scare off 2 guys who were willing to pay big preflop. If the flop comes with all unders, I probably am not going to make a lot of money then either. In this case I could check-raise, but by that point the AK and AQ hands may actually have the odds to call my allin.

It just gets worse the more I think about it. Like I said, a call could probably end up being about a breakeven chip EV move, maybe even slightly +cEV, but I want to be in a good, managable position if I am calling off a sixth of my stack in level 1 of a SNG. Those chips just have too much value to me later in the form of fold equity to play use them to gain a marginal position now.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:04 PM

Sorry, it was a Party 10+1
Old 09-22-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if you are going to play this hand, you should just re-raise all-in pre-flop. Out of position, it is too tricky to play after the flop.

Whether you do play is a judgement call.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...you either have to push or get out of there. You have to give UTG credit for the out of position raise. Jacks are tough to play on streets when anything higher hits.