Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 11:48 PM

Default Re: How do I put in more hours/week. (Long/Introspective)

this is one of the most amazing FYPs ever
Old 08-29-2005, 12:25 AM

Are you planning on playing for a living for a long time? If you can't get motivated to play, maybe you should think about whether you really want to be a pro.

I work full time and still play as much as you.

Some people need struture. I might have the same problem that you are experiencing if I played for a living.

Why dont you schedule your playing time?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you planning on playing for a living for a long time? If you can't get motivated to play, maybe you should think about whether you really want to be a pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see that I have any choice. Even at 12 hours/wk, I'm making way more than I would make at a 40+ hour/wk job. I think that if I can reduce the emotional swings of the game and make a commitment to myself to put in hours, I will be fine.

This isn't so much a problem with playing poker as it is a problem with self-discipline and self-esteem. Hopefully I can use poker as a platform for fixing these issues.

[ QUOTE ]
Some people need struture. I might have the same problem that you are experiencing if I played for a living.

Why dont you schedule your playing time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to give it a shot starting tomorrow. I will make a 25-hour schedule for this week(Monday-Friday) and I will stick to it. I will update my progress next weekend.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to give it a shot starting tomorrow. I will make a 25-hour schedule for this week(Monday-Friday) and I will stick to it. I will update my progress next weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking forward to it.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:29 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i play 40-60 hours per month and i have a full-time job, twinkle toes.

i have my PT window open while i play and it updates every minute as well. i don't see the problem with it.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i play 40-60 hours per month and i have a full-time job, twinkle toes.

i have my PT window open while i play and it updates every minute as well. i don't see the problem with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we all can't be Mr. Perfect.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:50 AM

What the heck is the tilt blocker program?

BTW, I too play about 10 to 12 hours a week. Much of this is because I have a busy law practice, family, other past-times etc. But even if I were jobless, single and a couch potato, I am not sure that I could play more than 20 hours online a week. Too friggin' boring, man. If you are kicking ass at 12 hours a week and having fun doing other things in your life...well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:42 PM

You need to examine why you aren't playing enough hours. Somehow, that is completely absent in this thread. Are you not playing at all on many days? Averaging only three days a week where you actually play? Are you playing as many days a week as you think is appropriate, but your average session is too short? If so, is it because you consistently play short sessions, or do the lengths vary a lot but average out to something too small? If you are playing sessions that are too short, why do you stop? Is it because you often start without having eaten first (maybe first thing in the morning) and you need to stop after a couple hours for lunch and then don't get started again? Is it because you procrastinate starting a session and often don't until late at night so you have to quit after a few hours because you are tired and want to sleep? And so forth.

"I'm not playing enough hours/week" is very vague. I think that you should stop thinking in those terms and figure out what the specific problem is and tackle that.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:16 PM

If he's like me...it's because he's spending too much time dorking around on 2+2 and not getting around to opening the tables.
Seriously, it's a stupid addiction and I need to grow the hell up.

Like him, I need to be playing more hours (although I'm more than 12 per week thankfully).
Old 08-29-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ban yourself from posting until you've played the required number of hours for the day.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd like to officially encourage Jeff not to do this [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].