Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Educating other players and HOH II

I've been playing at this certain home game for about 6 or 7 months now. Its a small buy-in tournament that we play twice a week with about 10-15 players. I've had consistently good results, and usually finish in the money about two-thirds of the time. There are a few bad players, a few decent ones, and no really great ones. Most fall into the category of either weak-tight or LAG, though there are a few that can pull some moves every once in a while.

Early on, I discussed poker with these guys that I had just met, and made it known that I am an "educated" player. With my consistent good results, some came to me for advice and ask to borrow books. I've lent out HOH I, TPFAP, TOP, etc. and shortly after noticed an improvement in their games.

Now, HOH II comes out. I have been familiar with most of the concepts in the book, although now these are given a name, and these concepts are what allow me to consistently finish up top. Soon, these players will be asking to borrow the book, as I let them know that I had received it recently. I don't really want these players to "become hip" to what I am doing in the later stages of a tournament. And I certainly don't want them to be pulling these moves on me.

So the dilemma is, let them borrow it or not? The money is pretty insignificant to me, but it doesn't hurt. I usually profit a couple hundred a month. Is wanting to keep my competition weaker wrong? Even though these guys are my friends and the money doesn't mean much, I don't like to lose. Thanks for any responses.

Sean D
Old 06-22-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Educating other players and HOH II

My philosophy: if they're your friends, help them out. If they get better at poker, you'll have a great resource to talk about the game with, which can only help you. You'll also get regular experience against a better caliber of player, which will also only lead to faster improvement. Of course, to profit you'll have to use you newly honed skills on strangers, by playing online or in some outside games....
Old 06-22-2005, 07:27 PM

This is all about why you play,
Are you primarily their friend. Or are you primarily their opponent?

If you don't want to lend HoH2 just tell them you are still reading it....because there are parts in it that are confusing to you.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:14 AM

bring your game to the next level [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 04:56 PM

Well, these guys are my opponents and my friends. I don't really hang out with them outside of poker, but they're good guys. I guess it won't hurt to have a little better competition.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My philosophy: if they're your friends, help them out. If they get better at poker, you'll have a great resource to talk about the game with, which can only help you. You'll also get regular experience against a better caliber of player, which will also only lead to faster improvement. Of course, to profit you'll have to use you newly honed skills on strangers, by playing online or in some outside games....

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldnt have said it better myself.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:02 PM

at the same time you should tell these guys to buy their own books!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
at the same time you should tell these guys to buy their own books!

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true as well.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:03 PM

You can't stop it, so make the best of it by taking the lead.

Lend them your books.

Why do that? C'mon, use your imagination.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with this!

The home game I play is with friends, and I would much rather have better game-play and better competition then win all the money.

steve

Check out my home league: <font color="red">North Shore Low Rollers</font>