Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 01:51 AM

Default Upgrading RAM

I have a standard Dell (I believe the 2400 - I'm not at home right now, and my Dell account won't let me access my purchase invoice to find the exact model number) that I purchased in August of 2004. It has 256 MB of RAM. Now that I have been using PokerTracker, and PokerAce, as well as having ITunes on my computer, I feel like the amount of memory I have is what is causing the relatively slow performance. It's not terrible performance, the computer just lags every so often, as well as getting the "virtual memory too low" warning. I know it's not spyware as I keep up with checking/eliminating that using a few spyware trackers.

Here's my questions:

1) Will 256MB more be enough? can I get 512MB extra if all I currently have is 256? I remember reading that both cards have to be the same size?

2) Can I just buy any card? I'm assuming because I have a pretty normal computer that what I would buy to install would probably fit in that computer?

3) Can I install this on my own fairly easily? I'm not exactly technically savvy, I've never installed anything on a computer, opened up the case, anything of the sort. Should I get it done professionally to avoid any disasters?

Any other comments upgrading memory would be welcome. I like the computer, I'm going to get a 2001FP to go along with it, I would just prefer it handle running multiple applications a little smoother.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Upgrading RAM

[ QUOTE ]

1) Will 256MB more be enough? can I get 512MB extra if all I currently have is 256? I remember reading that both cards have to be the same size?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ram is cheap, get yourself a 512 stick or a 1gb stick it can only help. Most systems don't need to be paired with a stick of the same size (memory size that is, not physically). Wherever you get the ram from ask them they should know for sure.

[ QUOTE ]

2) Can I just buy any card? I'm assuming because I have a pretty normal computer that what I would buy to install would probably fit in that computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Consult your owners manual for the specific type of ram you need. RAM comes in a variety of flavors so make sure you get something that plays well with your system. If you don't have an owners manual i belive you can enter whatever code dell uses for your specific model and config of computer on their website to find out for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

3) Can I install this on my own fairly easily? I'm not exactly technically savvy, I've never installed anything on a computer, opened up the case, anything of the sort. Should I get it done professionally to avoid any disasters?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should do this yourself instead of forking over $50 to best buy or wherever for 30 seconds of labor. It is an extremely straight forward job, look on the interweb for a detailed step by step guide, i'm sure there are many. Just don't touch anything you don't need to, and ground yourself before touching anything that looks like static electricity will kill it.

gus
Old 12-06-2005, 10:47 AM

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH RAM! (unless you are still running Win98 then 512 is max)

Need to know what kind of RAM you need? Go to http://www.crucial.com/ and follow the prompts. Order it. When it comes, unplug the power, pop open your case (that will be the hard part) pop the RAM chips in (they only fit one way) and start it up. DONE! You just made your PC much faster.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Need to know what kind of RAM you need? Go to http://www.crucial.com/ and follow the prompts. Order it. When it comes, unplug the power, pop open your case (that will be the hard part) pop the RAM chips in (they only fit one way) and start it up. DONE! You just made your PC much faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP, I was in almost exactly your situation with possibly identical hardware and did the above after reading some suggestions here. (Thanks to whoever posted those.)

I had never opened a computer case before, but when my RAM arrived from Crucial yesterday, it took about 20 minutes to install. Would have been much quicker but I was reluctant to put enough pressure on the card to pop it into the slot. It's really a snap [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If you read the directions provided on-line at Crucial and in your Dell's owner's manual, you'll have no problems. And the case on my Dell was very simple to open--not even a screwdriver needed.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:42 AM

Thanks for the advice fellas, just went to crucial.com and the RAM is on the way. Hopefully I will not destroy my computer. May come back here for advice if I get nerrrrvous.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:28 AM

Make sure your ground yourself prior to touching anything inside the case. Just touch the metal on the outer case to ground. I fried a motherboard by not grounding prior to installing a ram chip.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]