Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Festa al Lago....Gigabet is weak tight at heart.

The only thing that beats you is a set. If Harrington had a pp, why didn't he raise preflop when you completed in the SB? I don't think KQ is likely, for the same reason, but he he could have 98. Given your image, even though you like to play flops, Harrington is going to assume a complete is a weak hand, and will probably raise with any decent hand with position.

Given your aggressive image, Harrington could be playing back with nothing or little SB vs. BB. I think you have to call or raise the turn bet.

JTo is pretty strong heads up. Why not raise preflop?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:25 AM

isn't T3 a pretty likely hand that you're destroying that you haven't considered?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:28 AM

If the villain was an unknown as opposed to being Dan Harrington, would you have played this any differently?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:41 AM

What butt heads sb vs bb when you've got twice the average stack, out of position, and totally guessing where you're at. I'm with giga on this one, not really a difficult fold.

He's at $230k now. Lay that hand down and pick better spots the rest of the day. It's easy to say what the right play was after we know his hand is good.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the villain was an unknown as opposed to being Dan Harrington, would you have played this any differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for Gigabet, but I might. The turn raise really screams strength. A good player only raises there with a very strong or very weak (i.e. bluff) hand I think, with a good hand, those stacks and the pot size I'm pretty sure a good player will just call there. Dan is definitely a good player, and unknown may not be.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
isn't T3 a pretty likely hand that you're destroying that you haven't considered?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, i just thought of that too.

Think there are 3 hands we beat here: T3,J3,J4

and there aer 6 combinations of each of those, so 18 combos we kill.

1 hand we tie with, JT, 4 combos of that.

1 hand that beats us, 3 combos of that.

So we're winning 18 times, tying 4 times, losing 3 times.

Maybe T3 doesnt raise the turn like that, so then it would be 12v4v3

Still a good situation for us, and we'd have to think his hand was more weighed towards 33, and i dont think we can do that.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think against an unknown who play the flop and turn this way (after a PF check), I would be more likely to give them credit, not less. This is why I suck though...I could never make this laydown.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Whole time he was in the tank, I was staring at the felt, with this mantra streaming through my mind. "pleasedontcallpleasedontcallpleasedontcallpleased ontcallpleasedontcallpleasedontcallpleasedontcallp leasedontcallpleasedon....)

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to use "Thesearenotthedroidsyou'relookingforThesearenotth edroidsyou'relookingforThesearenotthedroidsyou'rel ookingforThesearenotthedroidsyou'relookingfor..."

Nice play.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:13 PM

Wow. This does not jibe with my image of Gigabet from Play a Hand with the Masters, where he says

"When I really like my hand(meaning I will go broke with it), I do not put my opponent on a range of hands. I know that I want everything to get in the middle, so I just need to figure out how to do that."

The 4 cannot have helped Dan, so the only hands that beat Gigabet are:

33 - 3 ways
TT - 1 way
JJ - 1 way

There are 18 ways Dan can have QQ++ and 12 ways for a weaker 2 pr. 30 hands that Dan could be playing like this.

I think he shows his final stack at the EOD to justify his laydown as he has EV in the tournament. Sure he has EV, but how much?

I don't like how he played the hand. If Gigabet is not willing to get all his chips in on this flop/safe turn (because his stack is so deep), then he should engineer the betting so that he gets to put the T30,000 bet in and test Dan for all his chips.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:27 PM

I think Dan might check 33 in the big blind there.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't speak for Gigabet, but I might. The turn raise really screams strength. A good player only raises there with a very strong or very weak (i.e. bluff) hand I think, with a good hand, those stacks and the pot size I'm pretty sure a good player will just call there. Dan is definitely a good player, and unknown may not be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Dan does not need a very big hand to make that raise. The actual size of the raise is a little suspicious, It almost looks like Dan is trying to buy a showdown... I think he probably folds a lot of worse hands to a three bet.

Obviously I don't know past history, and can only guess on the players' percieved images, but it seems to me that it would make sense to call and lead the river, or c/c river if for some reason giga thinks dan is making a move (clearly he didn't think that though). C/r turn seems like an OK line, but I think i like calling Dan's raise and betting.