Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Wacki can you help?

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't ping the server it doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work. It's very possible that your university has ICMP blocked. ICMP is the protocol that ping uses to verify connectivity to an end device/IP address.

[/ QUOTE ]

XBOX uses ICMP in it's protocol.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100981.asp

Hence the problem with some routers.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would simply e-mail Microsoft or the XBox team and ask them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best advice I have seen on this thread so far. When you e-mail them, make sure you give them as much information as possible. Go through the troubleshooting website that astroglide posted and let them know what steps you tried.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they are using Cisco equipment they most likely have an ACL (Access-list) configured to prioritize certain protocol traffic and allow certain bandwidth for that traffic. If that's the case then you're pretty much screwed unless you get into the router, but I wouldn't recommend doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beleive this is the case
Old 11-12-2004, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/start/connect/faq/

[/ QUOTE ]

I already checked that out, and when i did the thing with the mac adress that did seem to make it better, but it still wouldnt connect. Because when you go to the troubleshooter on xbox live it has a few steps when its connecting. Its somthing like this...

1: checking for connected cables
2:Finding host
3:resloving DNS server
4:connecting to xbox live

Without the mac adress thing setup it only makes it to like step two before it gives an error message. After i setup the mac adress it makes it to step four and then gives the error right at the end, which i think suggests that it technically is being allowed to connect but just not at high enough speed. Does that make any sense?
Old 11-12-2004, 04:31 PM

It makes sense because Microsoft probably allocated a minimum amount of speed to connect to XBox Live when they created the software - hence why you MUST have a cable modem otherwise you won't connect.

I think the issue here is that your network admin's aren't allocating enough space for your XBox, thus you can't connect and play. It sucks but it's also pretty necessary, otherwise your campus would be flooded with XBox traffic [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2004, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It makes sense because Microsoft probably allocated a minimum amount of speed to connect to XBox Live when they created the software - hence why you MUST have a cable modem otherwise you won't connect.

I think the issue here is that your network admin's aren't allocating enough space for your XBox, thus you can't connect and play. It sucks but it's also pretty necessary, otherwise your campus would be flooded with XBox traffic

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think this is exaxtly what is going on.

What do you think the chances are that i could get some third party broadband internet in my dormroom?
Old 11-12-2004, 04:36 PM

there has to be some way around this man, bribe someone or buy them something, or suck off [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]... I mean, do something man.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:37 PM

do you have cable or do they allow cable? or what about dsl? Is there a phone line in there?
Old 11-12-2004, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

do you have cable or do they allow cable? or what about dsl? Is there a phone line in there?

[/ QUOTE ]

They provide cable tv. Im not sure who its through but maybe if i found out who they got cable service from I could try to get internet from that same company assuming they offer both?

As far as a phone, yeah I have one. But I have never used it other than for calls to other rooms on campus. And a 56k connection wont work with xbox live anyways do i dont think that matters...
Old 11-12-2004, 04:44 PM

you should try to get the cable modem, not only for xbox live but also for dl. If you can't get that, try to get dsl which uses the phone line.