Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 03:16 PM

Default I also want to become an outstanding stud player.

Hi everyone, fairly new here. I have been playing $1/$2 (6 max) on PP with some decent results, I guess I'm just trying to figure out how to take my game to that next level.

As of right now, I'm playing way too many hands. Many times if I'm 2nd or 3rd to act, and showing a king or an ace (higher than everyone elses card), I will complete in the hopes of just winning the pot right there. Then I'll fire again on 4th street, then I figure that on 5th street I'll fire again (since this is where they will fold [if they're going to]). This can work short term, but I really get myself in trouble when they stick around, and I start catching just enough to make me think I could even win the pot.

Also, I play more hands than I should when I don't have a starting pair. Like, if my cards and or suit (even if I only have 2) are very live, I'll stick around at least for a little bit and try to grab something. I need to cut this down.

Live small pairs, I'll almost always stick around with until I see that they're dead, (or if I'm obviously beaten).

I must be doing something right, because I fairly consisten with my winning, but I take some wild swings. I'll double my buy-in and then be down below my original buy-in so quickly sometimes.

This hyper-aggressive strategy does well for me in the tournaments (until the blinds get insane).

Anyways, what is some advice to bring my game to the next level. Also, what are some good restrictions on starting hands? Thanks.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: I also want to become an outstanding stud player.

In addition, is there some sort of a strategy for remembering what cards are dead?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:41 PM

Looks like you're running good. Just remember, when we're running good, it adds like 4" to our package, but once the fish start sucking out, everything changes!! We no longer feel like the superman we once were.

Sounds like you're playing too many hands and getting a little lucky. Just play live cards.. At 1/2, any pair, and 3 flush, any 3 straight, etc. Fold 3 of a kind cause they always lose.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like you're running good. Just remember, when we're running good, it adds like 4" to our package, but once the fish start sucking out, everything changes!! We no longer feel like the superman we once were.

Sounds like you're playing too many hands and getting a little lucky. Just play live cards.. At 1/2, any pair, and 3 flush, any 3 straight, etc. Fold 3 of a kind cause they always lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you being sarcastic about the 3 of a kind? If you're not, I assume you mean if I have 3 of a kind on the river, you don't mean started with 3 of a kind. Speaking of which, I lost 2 $50 pots within about 10 minutes. Started with rolled up Qs, filled up, lost to aces full. A few hands later I had rolled up 4s, filled up, lost to kings full. Both times they sucked out on the river. UGH!

Should I stick to that starting hand strategy pretty hard? What if I have something like (A7)Q, all live, 4 people limp, and a someone is showing a king. Do I limp with this, and fold to the next bet if I don't hit something, or should I just not play this to begin with?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you being sarcastic about the 3 of a kind? If you're not, I assume you mean if I have 3 of a kind on the river, you don't mean started with 3 of a kind. Speaking of which, I lost 2 $50 pots within about 10 minutes. Started with rolled up Qs, filled up, lost to aces full. A few hands later I had rolled up 4s, filled up, lost to kings full. Both times they sucked out on the river. UGH!

Should I stick to that starting hand strategy pretty hard? What if I have something like (A7)Q, all live, 4 people limp, and a someone is showing a king. Do I limp with this, and fold to the next bet if I don't hit something, or should I just not play this to begin with?

[/ QUOTE ]

dont play your hold em hands + a blank card. You will get eaten alive unless you are getting hit with the deck. unsuited A7Q is an autofold or occasionally a bluff raise if there is nobody else in the pot yet and you think the play with work. Besides that it is trash though.

playing hands like this is probably why your swings are so wild. you shouldnt be in the hand in the first place and then maybe you cath the 7 or a 3rd suited card and decide to see one more and before you know it you have money in the pot and get sucked in with a loser...
Old 07-01-2005, 05:11 PM

So, would starting with only high pairs, 3 flushes, and high 3 straights be a good starting point or is that way to tight?
Old 07-01-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, would starting with only high pairs, 3 flushes, and high 3 straights be a good starting point or is that way to tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

to start, you cant really go wrong with that. be careful with your straight draws though. It also depends on where you play. if you are in a high ante game you should be playing more hands. I would add smaller live pairs with high live kickers for sure and I usually play the "high bags" that are being argued pro and con as long as they are live and especially with 2 suited...gotta be ready to dump them on 4th though
Old 07-01-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Tight is right".
Old 07-01-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

to start, you cant really go wrong with that. be careful with your straight draws though. It also depends on where you play. if you are in a high ante game you should be playing more hands. I would add smaller live pairs with high live kickers for sure and I usually play the "high bags" that are being argued pro and con as long as they are live and especially with 2 suited...gotta be ready to dump them on 4th though

[/ QUOTE ]

What is considered a higher ante game? .5/1at PP I believe is .25 antes. Is that high or low?

What are "high bags"?

Wow, I'm going to get destroyed.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:53 PM

With all the stud I've played, I haven't heard the term "high bags" either. So, if anyone could enlighten us? You never seem to hear these terms while you're playing. I also wonder what a "high" ante is supposed to be? I play 1/2, but I don't remember the ante off the top of my head.