Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Spot the bluff...

I think 1 is the real deal. What I've started to notice (I'm slow) is that if villain calls a flop bet on what appears to be a drawless board and then bets or raises the turn he's got the trips and was waiting for the bigger street to get the raise in. This isn't definitive by any stretch, but it is what I'm using for a clue.

Hand 2 could be the real thing, but I'm gonna say villain has 99 or TT or KQ or some other thing that might bet that flop in an unraised pot and then took the opportunity to bluff with the scary 8 out there.

ThisHo
Old 06-06-2005, 05:15 PM

I guess I am going to buck the trend. I think Hand 1 is the bluff. Primarily for the simple reason that the BB got the free look at the flop and could have anything.

UTG in hand 2 should have something to play with in that position, 88, A8 or Ax are all possibilities. To me the board looks scarier with the bet coming from the BB then from UTG.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:17 PM

I think Hand 2 is real and Hand 1 is a bluff.

Hand 2: I frequently see fish calling your flop bet with mid pair, and then raising because they've tripped up.

Hand 1: I don't think he's giving you credit for hitting the board. Either that, or I could see him pairing up his 4s, thinking his hand is good, or playing a mid PP in this way as well (77, for example). Also, he could be semi-bluff-raising with his club draw, and checking behind if he doesn't hit.

Just from my experience and what I remember, I find more people bluffing in situations like hand 1 than on hand 2, especially since there is an A on the board in hand 2.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:38 PM

I think you're doing fine if you fold both of these hands, although I'd be inclined to call the first one down. But both pots are small and you will be beat (or sucked out) most of the time.

The first hand is clearly a better bluffing situation since the BB can well have a 9 and the SB will often not (cause he'd slowplay it w/ 4 people in).

Hand 2 is a worse bluffing situation since UTG shouldn't have an 8 in his hand, and you're often not folding most things you'd bet the flop with, such as A-big, any 8, or a flush draw.

Having said that, I'm not sure most 3/6 players have much rhyme or reasons to their bluffs. Without a read, I'd tend to call the first hand down not because it's a better bluffing situation, but because you're only behind 9x or a big pair. On the second hand you're behind 8x, any pair bigger than a 6, any A with a kicker that plays, and can potentially get sucked out by any card 6 through K or a diamond.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:05 PM

I'm guessing that hand 2 is the bluff.

The only way I see hand 2 being played without this being a bluff is with something like 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] because of the PF action. I just don't think it's very likely.

Hand 1 seems like it could be legit, BB could easily have a nine and play this way, looking for flop callers.

But this is my first post, so take it FWIW.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:11 PM

I'm guessing hand 1 is a bluff. Maybe overcards that now have a club draw.

Hand 2 is real. The guy peeled and hit.

Ok...now I have to know! Which was the bluff?
Old 06-06-2005, 06:20 PM

1. 2nd hand has better scare card on the turn.
2. 2nd hand villain limped in UTG and could have overs he's counting as outs while 1st hand's BB could have any 9x hand and just waited for the turn big bet to raise.

So based on position and bluffing opportunity I would be tempted to say that the 2nd hand is the bluff.

But, thinking on a higher plain, the logic of the situation makes it easy, too easy--so therefore I say hand number 1 is the bluff. Ha! No, wait hand number 2. Oh, nevermind.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:50 PM

Results? I'm a curious guy.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:58 PM

I've also noticed in Hand 2 that hero betted in last position so UTG may have thought Hero was making a position bluff.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:38 PM

Results (and these are real, and I called both down) --

Hand 1 - Opponent shows Q9 or somesuch, MHING
Hand 2 - Opponent shows 77, MHIG

-d