Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Pushing the Ace TP with a weak kicker.

No read, UTG+1 bought in a few hands previous..

0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Hero calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (3.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

I figure a raise of top pair is good, even though my kicker isn't, the call has me worried about being out kicked, I'd of folded a re-raise.

Turn: (3.70 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

This is were I have a question, do I bet here? Don't know how to handle this situation.

River: (3.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Are there enough bets to make this call? (4.7 BB before I call it down)

Final Pot: 5.70 BB
Old 01-09-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Pushing the Ace TP with a weak kicker.

Pre-flop A8s is a raise on the button
Flop is fine
I bet the turn, it is heads up, if he check/raises I call down.
I would call or bet if checked to on the river. Even with the way you played it, the river is a call 100% of the time. He could be taking a shot at the pot since it is heads up. That will happen often enough to make a call here correct.

Vern
Old 01-09-2005, 04:50 AM

Raise preflop. Only one person has limped and you likely have a very good edge in equity, especially with position.

An 8 is not weak when it comes to a kicker war. However, equity wise, A8 isn't as good as A9 because a pair of nines takes down more pots than a pair of eights.

Anyway. Bet the turn and river.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet the turn, it is heads up, if he check/raises I call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont like calling if check/raised. Do you really think youre ahead often enough (getting 6.7-1 and maybe call the river again) to justify a call?
You showed aggression on the flop and if you bet again into a 3-spade board, UTG+1 will only rarely cr-bluff.
The pot is to small to risk 2-bets...
Old 01-09-2005, 09:40 AM

I agree that calling down if check raised might be a mistake, but against an unknown limper, heads up, I think folding to a check-raise could be a bigger mistake so I would call down. I usually am gonna need some type of read before I lay down top pair to a check-raise once it is heads-up.

Vern
Old 01-09-2005, 10:42 AM

I think you played this weakly, especially the turn check. Top pair is top pair. Don't get overly concerned by your kicker to top pair once your in the hand. An ace with a bad kicker is a good reason not to play the hand in the first place, but once you do, a free play, or a decent suited ace like yours, don't obsess over being out-kicked if you flop top pair. Sometimes you'll lose that way. More often you'll win or else lose to some other hand that would have beat a single pair anyway.