Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 05:57 AM

Default Unexpected Re-raises - How would you play this one?

Villain is a loose player who hardly ever folds on 3rd. When I sat down at the table Villain had 100, after a pot with me he had 60-ish, I then watched as he went all the way up to $230 and back down to $100.

He never speaks and I suspect he could be a bot (albeit a crap one) yet who knows?

So here's a hand he and I played, what do you think he has on 4th?

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes

4th Street - (8.38 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls

5th Street - (9.19 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (16.19 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (20.19 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (24.19 BB)

Results: (Resist the urge to look at the results until after you've thought about the hand!)

<font color="white">
Main Pot: $48.25 | Rake: $2.50

Seat 1: [ 6s Ts Js Td Kh Kc Kd ] [ a full house, Kings full of tens -- Kh,Kc,Kd,Ts,Td ]</font>
Old 07-20-2005, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Unexpected Re-raises - How would you play this one?

1st, there is a problem with the Converter. It is calculating the pot size incorrectly.

I really don't like your call on 6th. Regardless of the crazyness of the opponent. Once he raises you on 5th when you get your 9 he has to have at least a pair. Then when he pairs his K you should fold and be done with it.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:38 AM

You are right.

This idiot had me on tilt for a while and I wanted to bust him so bad I was using "the jacks and nines are live" to go to the river.

This idiot eventually went bust (I didn't do it, by then I was too busy going bust myself.

I was blinded by my tilt.

Still ... stupid play for that idiot re-raising me with tens when I'm showing a jack ... damn clownshoe. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1st, there is a problem with the Converter. It is calculating the pot size incorrectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just noticed this as well.

SDM, could you PM me with the exact hand history from this post and also the two from post “2 Hands: Not aggressive enough + Too aggressive? “

greenage
Old 07-20-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are right.

This idiot had me on tilt for a while and I wanted to bust him so bad I was using "the jacks and nines are live" to go to the river.

This idiot eventually went bust (I didn't do it, by then I was too busy going bust myself.

Still ... stupid play for that idiot re-raising me with tens when I'm showing a jack ... damn clownshoe. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How are jacks live? I see zero remaining.

You said he is a pretty loose player, so there is no reason to give him credit for pocket 10s (which would give him trips). There have been 3 jacks exposed (1 folded, 1 is his, 1 is yours); this isn't a difficult hand to figure out. He picks up a pair of 10s on 4th street, and he refuses to give you credit for having the last jack in the deck (and I probably wouldn't give you credit for it either), he has you on a draw, or a middle pocket pair. If I were in your shoes, I cap on 4th street, just to tell him, "I've got the jack," or "I've got an overpair." Personally, I'd cap it on 5th street too. At that point you're also saying, "I didn't believe you had the 10s, so I stuck with my 9s and I just picked up trips." In my opinion, this would be the best way to play the hand up until 6th, if anyone disagrees feel free to suggest something else.

6th street is an easy fold, as you probably know. You have to consider the possibility that he started with (KQ)J and he bet his open ended straight draw hard on 4th street. That would mean he's currently got trip kings, and because all the jacks are gone, you're drawing dead to a 9 (assuming he doesn't fill up).
Old 07-20-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are right.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are jacks live? I see zero remaining.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-20-2005, 10:47 PM

Many thanks for the replies.

I see now an underlying discipline problem I have at times at the table, I have no idea how to fix it, but I should have left that table if that one player rattled me so bad that I'd chase for the last 2 9's (as J's were indeed dead) to bust him out ... too aggressive. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Cheers,
SDM

PS - greenage, You've got mail! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 11:35 PM

I just replied.

For the curious, these are not hands from a site that the converter currently supports.

With SDM’s help, it may be in the future.