Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Burried Aces getting pushed around

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___raises___calls
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (12.90 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

5th Street - (8.45 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (10.45 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

River - (12.45 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (12.45 BB)

Would anyone call a river bet here?
Old 07-02-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Burried Aces getting pushed around

Ok, this is my first attempt at responding to a question like this, so bare with me. I could be horribly wrong, and then hopefully someone can tell us both what we should do.

I think you have the best hand on 6th street, and I reraise when he hits the dead jack, he could be playing something like buried queens. He'll most likely call your reraise with his pair of queens, and then you value bet on the river.

How's that?
Old 07-02-2005, 04:33 PM

I think I put in a raise on 6th. My best guess is that he was over playing KK or QQ. So yeah, I’d call the river every time.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:55 PM

IT certainly doesn't look like he has two pair, so you were either a huge underdog going in or you get to take down the pot. If you raise 5th or 6th and get 3bet, do you fold or call it down?
Old 07-02-2005, 08:19 PM

Player reads would be important here but there is no way I'm folding 7th.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Would anyone call a river bet here?

[/ QUOTE ]

RU KIDDING?? Save the big folds for Roland!

As others said, it looks like your opponent had a smaller buried pair, or you ran into a rolled up hand.. Although, he may not play a rolled up hand like this.

Also, it helps to give an analysis of your opponent.

Beer$$
Old 07-03-2005, 01:54 AM

You were all right - he had unimproved KK and I take the pot.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, this is my first attempt at responding to a question like this, so bare with me. I could be horribly wrong, and then hopefully someone can tell us both what we should do.

I think you have the best hand on 6th street, and I reraise when he hits the dead jack, he could be playing something like buried queens. He'll most likely call your reraise with his pair of queens, and then you value bet on the river.

How's that?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he reraises on 6th when you raise, do you can and fold unless you hit two pair on 7th, in which case you check-call?
Old 07-03-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You were all right - he had unimproved KK and I take the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet. I know I never actually posted kings, but it being my first response to a gameplay question, rest assured I edited many times, and eventually decided that I didn't need to say the guy has buried queens "or kings".

[ QUOTE ]
If he reraises on 6th when you raise, do you can and fold unless you hit two pair on 7th, in which case you check-call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I'd be curious, and with so much already invested, I'd call him down to see it. Worst case, I pick up some info, best case, he was still overplaying his buried KK/QQ, and I'd win another bet.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:18 AM

I would probably have raised fifth. Up to that point, it looked like he might have the other two Aces in the hole, but obviously he can't have those anymore. Maybe he's rolled-up, but far more often, he's going to have something you can beat.

Sixth is probably worth a raise as well. I think I value bet on the river. I doubt that someone this aggressive would check trips, and he would probably bet Kings-up or Queens-up as well. And he certainly isn't folding in a pot this big.

Folding to a river bet would be insane.