Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: I know im beat but I can\'t fold anywhere here right?

I would fold it preflop, the risk that you are dominated is very high here IMO. Clear fold on the flop.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:39 AM

Isn't this questionable advice? Hero is getting better than 10:1 on his coldcall, and could pick up a number of playable hands on the flop even if dominated, such as an OESD to the nuts, two pair, backdoor second nut flush draws, etc, that would warrant him peeling of a card on the flop if he could do it cheaply. Also, particularly in a 6-max game, I wouldnt be so quick to assume that I was dominated.... TT and JJ could play the same.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:49 AM

If they would play AA-TT and AK AQ that way there are:
Hand Combinations
AA 6
KK 3
QQ 3
JJ 6
TT 6
AK 12
AQ 12

A total of 48 combinations and only 12 of them does not dominate you. Also a problem I see is that there are two hands that can have you dominated. It doesn't help you much if one of them have TT if the other has AK.

In a 10-handed game or against tight players I think the fold is clear. In 6-max perhaps it is not "clear" at all, guess it depends on the players, but for me the default is fold here.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Hmmm: maybe he should call anyway, not sure. (Did a simulation)

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

17,438,523 games 196.859 secs 88,583 games/sec

Board:
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 13.6687 % [ 00.12 00.01 ] { KcQd }
Hand 2: 29.7996 % [ 00.29 00.01 ] { AA-TT, AKs-AQs, AKo-AQo }
Hand 3: 22.9808 % [ 00.21 00.02 ] { AA-88, AKs-ATs, KQs, AKo-AJo, KQo }
Hand 4: 16.7747 % [ 00.16 00.01 ] { AA-22, AKs-A2s, KQs-KTs, QJs-QTs, JTs, AKo-A2o, KQo-KTo, QJo-QTo, JTo }
Hand 5: 16.7763 % [ 00.16 00.01 ] { AA-22, AKs-A2s, KQs-KTs, QJs-QTs, JTs, AKo-A2o, KQo-KTo, QJo-QTo, JTo }

I am not 100% sure that the hand ranges I selected are good enough. It depends on the players of course. But in my example hero has 13.7% equity and is getting 10-1 on his cold call so maybe he should call. But if you hit your hand (K or Q) you might have a hard time getting away from it when you are dominated. So you might loose many more bets.

Still not sure whats correct preflop. Are the hand ranges I selected reasonable for the different players?
Old 05-31-2005, 11:07 AM

Fold to the cap preflop, fold the flop, fold the turn, fold the river. I don't think you won this hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Also the villian capped a gut shot on the flop after my raise was 3 bet in an earlier hand but he does not play poorly post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Define playing poorly post flop.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:09 AM

Ugly. Easy fold on the flop. Turn raise is terrible. After getting 3-bet on the turn on a board with no draws the river call is bad too.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Hmmm: maybe he should call anyway, not sure. (Did a simulation)

With this many callers, the range of hands is pretty hard to narrow down on a 6-max game (particularly for the player on the button and the big blind). Not everyone will employ TAG standards. Another reasonable Pokerstove scenario might be AA-88, plus some big suited cards like AKs-ATs, plus AKo, plus KQs-78s. Sometimes people play weird stuff in 6-max. I do agree that a TPGK hand needs to be played delicately, but I think preflop this is a reasonable cold call closing the action given the huge odds.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:10 PM

I would fold or call preflop depending on how tight raisers button and SB are. You are very likely to be dominated, but you are getting great odds.

Very easy fold on the flop. There are players after you who may raise and it's quite likely that you are drawing almost dead.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:25 PM

you keep talking about the SB's capping range, yadda yadda yadda, but you're *six handed* with undercards! I would say on the flop you win this hand about 1 in a 100 times by the river, if that.

i don't mind calling preflop, however.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:31 PM

Fold the flop, fold the flop, then fold the flop one last time. Then fold it again.

Apparently nobody had an ace except maybe for the SB -- and you had a read that he was wacky, and so had to call down -- so hey, maybe you won this one after all. But seeing a flop 6-handed after there was an UTG raise . . . the chance that nobody has an ace AND that you hit a K or Q that isn't reverse-dominated or hit your runner-runner straight . . .

I fold the flop.

EDIT: Damn, when did I become Carpal Tunnel boy!?