Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 01:46 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default Odd little 30/60 hand (or wtf am I doing?)

30/60 great game. At this point my image is fairly tight, we have one pure calling station, one drunk, one fairly bad player, one gambler, and a couple of decent players at the table. I have shown down nothing but rock solid hands so far and have not been paid off on my last two hands.

4 callers to LMP player on my right who raises, his raising hands here are quite wide. I have K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the CO knowing the button will call with a quick look left. The sb and BB come along too with the limpers.

(16sb)8 to the flop of 2 4 5r with one [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

checks around to me and I bet. The button calls, the blinds fold and the rest of the field calls.

6 to the turn 11BB

8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] completes the rainbow.

UTG is quite loose as is the button. They have been going to war with each other in most pots and calling each other down with as little as J high. The button is drunk and will call with anything, but UTG is not he does think about who he's playing with.

UTG bets out, 3 folds and I raise, button folds, UTG calls

Heads up 15BB
I plan to bet any card that falls on the river, fold if bet into unless the river is a K or Q.

I would normally not bet on this flop, but the drunk on my left would bet his position 100% of the time and I think will raise here 50% of the time.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:55 AM

Default Re: Odd little 30/60 hand (or wtf am I doing?)

Had the button not been a drunk would you have given any thought to 3-betting preflop with 4 limpers already in there??? You may knock out the button as well as some of the limpers putting dead money in the pot or build a nice pot if they all come along...neither seems too unattractive holding KQ suited. I don't like betting this flop given the circumstances you describe...a big factor being that it will be near impossible to get any bare ace or 6 to fold. Make the flop 2,4,7 or something I wouldn't argue taking a stab trying to knock a few people out. I know it sounds insane but I would strongly consider folding on the turn. Also I try to stay out of the way of people having pissing contests at the table unless I have the goods. Bluffing at this pot seems pretty useless since you will get called near 100% of the time due to the pot size. Hope you pulled this one off though.

-Bob S.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:10 AM

I agree with everything Bob had to say [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seems like you shouldn't be trying to buy pots when people are willing to go to war with J high - will they fold their A2s for bottom pair?
Old 10-11-2004, 05:52 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Had the button not been a drunk would you have given any thought to 3-betting preflop with 4 limpers already in there???

I had not given much thought to a 3 bet in this game with KQs. I would have raised 4 or 5 limpers with no problem a 3 bet would likely knock out the blinds possibly the drunk and maybe one or 2 of the better early limpers. That's a good sum of dead money and it removes the better post flop players, it looks like something to consider.

In this case when I looked left I saw lots of chips being stacked for calls, and thought if I hit I'll have lots of callers for a nice sized pot.

I don't like betting this flop given the circumstances you describe...a big factor being that it will be near impossible to get any bare ace or 6 to fold. Make the flop 2,4,7 or something I wouldn't argue taking a stab trying to knock a few people out.

I bet in hopes the drunk would jump into full swing. A double bet might get a gutshot out, our strange hands like Q2, Q4, K2, K4 ect. I also didn't really want the drunk to bet because I thought he had higher likelyhood of being checkraised if he bet.

I know it sounds insane but I would strongly consider folding on the turn.

I thought about it, but UTG would have checkraised me with a stronger hand than TPTK. The drunk is weak and likely won't call a double bet and I've played my hand as if I had a straight draw. So I raised. I thought about how large the pot was after he called on the turn and I cursed myself.

I was a little caught up in fancy play syndrome.