Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2004, 03:34 PM

Default California Aggression?

I played for about three hours last night at the Bike in a 20-40 game, where seat five raised pre-flop every single time a raise was available to him.

Also, I don't remember him folding before the river, although I think he may have once or twice.

In a word, wow.

Sparks
Old 10-10-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Re: California Aggression?

[ QUOTE ]
I played for about three hours last night at the Bike in a 20-40 game, where seat five raised pre-flop every single time a raise was available to him.

Also, I don't remember him folding before the river, although I think he may have once or twice.

In a word, wow.

Sparks

[/ QUOTE ]

The 20/40's looked great last night. It made me sick that I had to work hosting the smaller no limit games (although they were very good too).

Assuming he remains in seat five, were do you think is the best place to sit and why?

~ Rick
Old 10-10-2004, 04:15 PM

maybe he had a good run of cards and got unlucky after the flop. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2004, 05:07 PM

Hi Rick,

Yeah, I saw you hustling around last night -- the NL section was packed. And what a busy and wacky night it was at the Bike. I was in the must-move around 9 pm (which was kept on the whole time even though there was a decent board, what's up with that?) and we had a crazy tequila-drinking maniac who finally gave up his four racks to the table after a couple of hours. Everyone at the table was talking about pots of $600 to $1000 every hand at the main 20-40 game, and we were all itching to get in, but the table we were at was pretty darn good also.

Meanwhile, a huge argument breaks out at the main game, yelling, pointing, and multiple floormen over to handle the dispute, when seat eight pushes back his chair and rushes seat three! Seat eight gets kicked out, then about ten minutes later, seat three yells Ahhhh!!! he's back! The seat eight guy had snuck back in, and ran over to seat three and I believe took a swing at him or something, but it all happened so fast, I missed it. Seat three was yelling for security to stop the crazy guy as he tried to run back out of the building. Meanwhile, the guy under attack somehow recorded the event on his cell phone with video and sound! I saw the video on the guy's phone later when I was at the main game -- somewhere in between seat five's raising barrage.

What a night.

As far as seat position goes, as a general rule I like seats three and seven. I can see the other players the best from those seats, and there is more leg room with the way the tables are designed, plus I feel I have a little more elbow room. Some like seat five because it's central, others like seat one so seat nine can't see them very well...I guess it's all personal preference. And of course, you have the mystics who are constantly changing seats to "improve their luck." These are the same folks who blame the dealers when they get bad beats, and ask for setups every time they lose a hand. As far as the best seat for this particular game, given seat five's playing "style", I'm not even sure it made a difference whether you were to his right or left, as long as you were at the table. He raised, no matter what, every time. The two big hands I won, with AA and QQ, seat five was in the blind and I just limped. He of course raised, and I three-bet, and he capped. It was five or six way action both hands. Fortunately, my hand held up both times.

I was bummed that I had to leave at 3 am. I wish I could have stayed longer. It's interesting that seat five was actually doing pretty well. I think other players were calling him too much, knowing he often had nothing, but they were forgetting to make sure their own nothing could beat HIS nothing! And also, seat five did seem to be catching a lot of cards. He had four racks of yellow when I left.

Sparks
Old 10-10-2004, 05:08 PM

to his immediate left so you could try to isolate his LAGGY ass with a threebet.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
s far as seat position goes, as a general rule I like seats three and seven. I can see the other players the best from those seats, and there is more leg room with the way the tables are designed, plus I feel I have a little more elbow room. Some like seat five because it's central,

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, i think he meant where do you like to sit in relation to the manaic....

I personally like to sit to his left as well but i think sitting to his right can actually be more profitable but higher varience.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, i think he meant where do you like to sit in relation to the manaic...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the best seat for this particular game, given seat five's playing "style", I'm not even sure it made a difference whether you were to his right or left, as long as you were at the table. He raised, no matter what, every time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-11-2004, 02:00 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

As loose as this game sounds I'll take the 3 or 4 seat.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I saw you hustling around last night -- the NL section was packed.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was there we peaked at eight games. This was good considering The Big Poker October tournament didn't help much given the Saturday event was Omaha. I wouldn't be surprised if Tony started a game late at night - we actually start no limit games when the bars let out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
And what a busy and wacky night it was at the Bike. I was in the must-move around 9 pm (which was kept on the whole time even though there was a decent board, what's up with that?)

[/ QUOTE ]

We (and many other clubs) have all sorts of must move policies for different games (which isn't necessarily bad since different games have different needs). In general I'm against perpetual must moves, and really hate the never ending must move to must move to must move a.k.a. chained must move. But before I start writing rants and essays here, I need to find out more. Per a few brief discussions, I believe that many of the stud/8 customers we have like the chained must move system currently in place. I still haven't understood the logic, and wonder if a less restrictive system might not improve business (even though many of the current customers like what we have). Anyway, this is more than I want to write right now regarding must moves, I need to learn more and rant later [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
and we had a crazy tequila-drinking maniac who finally gave up his four racks to the table after a couple of hours. Everyone at the table was talking about pots of $600 to $1000 every hand at the main 20-40 game, and we were all itching to get in, but the table we were at was pretty darn good also.

Meanwhile, a huge argument breaks out at the main game, yelling, pointing, and multiple floormen over to handle the dispute, when seat eight pushes back his chair and rushes seat three! Seat eight gets kicked out, then about ten minutes later, seat three yells Ahhhh!!! he's back! The seat eight guy had snuck back in, and ran over to seat three and I believe took a swing at him or something, but it all happened so fast, I missed it. Seat three was yelling for security to stop the crazy guy as he tried to run back out of the building. Meanwhile, the guy under attack somehow recorded the event on his cell phone with video and sound! I saw the video on the guy's phone later when I was at the main game -- somewhere in between seat five's raising barrage.

[/ QUOTE ]

When it's not in my section I stay out of harms way. plus no limit is quite peaceful so I wouldn't know how to break up a fight. Anyway, my cell phone is sort of low tech but in tonights no limit game at HWP the guy next to me showed video clips from his cell phone of crazy goings on in the stands from the Dodger game last night. Maybe these cell phones will help settle some disputes at the table [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
As far as seat position goes, as a general rule I like seats three and seven.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an end seat guy myself, but I've become more fond of Tommy Angelo' catbird seat (seat one). My best friend is a rare pro player with good vision who likes seat five (the middle seat in Los Angeles for those of you used to ten handed games). His reasoning is that he is a big guy and in that seat as long as he is in front of the dealer other players can't tell him to move over.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the best seat for this particular game, given seat five's playing "style", I'm not even sure it made a difference whether you were to his right or left, as long as you were at the table. He raised, no matter what, every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO when the game is otherwise loose and you have an auto raiser/auto better forget sitting after him and trying to isolate per conventional wisdom (since the game is too loose to isolate easily and this isn't the best EV anyway). I like him on my left and use his auto bets and raises to trap or drive out other players depending on the situation.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the Bike.

Rick
Old 10-11-2004, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
to his immediate left so you could try to isolate his LAGGY ass with a threebet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Slavic. In a loose game the isolation plays lose effectiveness. I discussed this in my response to Sparks above and somewhere in the forums past this was debated endlessly.

~ Rick