Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: I Quit My Day Job, contradictory?

Limit ring games, man. That is where the money is. I don't know what to tell you. I don't think it is that hard to win at limit. Tight aggressive play. Limp with limping hands when the table encourages it. Listen to your opponents when they are trying to tell you what their cards are. Fold on the turn, not on the river. Hell, you know how to play, probably. It is about discipline more than anything.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is true but it doesn't mean you won't dump alot of it off tilting. Which means you won't make money that you are able to live off of.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you have a serious tilt problem then you're probably not a +ev player. If you tilt a lot and are +ev then just think how good you will be if you control yourself.

chez
Old 11-04-2005, 08:40 PM

I am an online pro and I disagree with almost this entire article.

This article sounds like it was written by someone who has had poker consume his life. It sounds like he has a gambling problem.

Failed realtionships, no exercise, Always eating fast food, always being tired, never going out are due to the fact that the author can't prioritize his life, not due to Poker.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am an online pro and I disagree with almost this entire article.

This article sounds like it was written by someone who has had poker consume his life. It sounds like he has a gambling problem.

Failed realtionships, no exercise, Always eating fast food, always being tired, never going out are due to the fact that the author can't prioritize his life, not due to Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why he's playing sixteen hours a day either. Is he tilting or trying to get even for the day or something?
Old 11-05-2005, 03:18 PM

Yeah, I was confused by that myself. You are probably right that author has a bit of a gambling problem.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:05 PM

Snowball,

GL btw.

I just play alot. I get started and I keep playing. I'm in total control of my emotions. I just enjoy poker alot and sometimes I get into a zone and I play. I've played a whole day live before.

I have goals for poker and I feel that if I want to acheive said goals poker needs to be a major part of my life just like if anyone else wanted to advance in their occupation.

Granted this part of the article does not apply to everyone as much as the rest does.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:06 PM

I don't have a gambling problem. Although I'm willing to wager the next reply to this post will be denial is the first step.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:45 PM

provided one has good games to play in
Old 11-05-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
provided one has good games to play in

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course, if the games get bad enough for long enough then either you will cease to be +ev or your bankroll will shrink below the point of being big enough.

Then going bust becomes inevitable - good to have a plan for getting out if things move to far in this direction.

chez
Old 11-05-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't have a gambling problem. Although I'm willing to wager the next reply to this post will be denial is the first step.

[/ QUOTE ]

This struck me as funny. I liked your article, but I agree with others that many of the issues you have can and do occur with any profession and are not hazards of poker per se.