Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 11:52 PM

Default I Quit My Day Job, contradictory?

Basically the story says it's tough, but also says, "you can easily make 50K a year multi-tabling 3/6".

Geezus, which is it, an easy 50K a year, or it's tough?

I don't know 'bout the rest of you all, but if I could make 50K a year from my PC that would make a prolonged search for better work, or even going back to school to recareer a lot easier. At 50K a year I wouldn't be living ostentatiously, but I could give corp. USA the bird.

Bottom line, you can't have it two ways.

Either it's tough, including 3/6 multi-tabling, or it isn't.

This sort of double speak, I think, misleads a lot of people.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: I Quit My Day Job, contradictory?

I can't speak for the author, but how about this, "it's a tough way to make 50K a year." Garbage men can "easily" pull down more than that in a big city, but it's tough work.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:27 AM

I have many similar thoughts as the author. As many of you know, the "Cook" in my title isn't there for show. That is my chosen profession, that is what I enjoy doing. Of course, I don't cook anymore. $10 an hour cooking or $XXX an hour playing poker. Not a choice I was proud of, but I've rationalized that doing this now is the "responsibile" thing, so that in the future, I can "irresponsibly" waste my prime earning years behind the line, flipping burgers and tossing pies.

I too often have people tell me how awesome they think my new job is. And it is nice, I got to play in the WSOP, go to Aruba, and have a couple other WPT destinations in mind. I've read more books (not poker books - ugh!) in the past five months than.... that guy in the twilight Zone (Books! Books! Precious Books! And now I have all the time in the world to read my Books! <steps on reading glasses, cue "catastrophe" music&gt But this life kinda sucks. I was a lean mean cooking machine (call me the George Forman Grille) five months ago - I'm starting to notice a little flab!

I guess this is just a sympathy post. "oh woe is me, I make lots of money playing poker. This sucks!!" It is nice to hear someone else thinking and feeling the same things as me.

Thanks,
CSC
Old 11-02-2005, 01:54 PM

How is this-Making money playing 3/6=easy. To continuously make money playing poker without going broke=hard.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:37 PM

Hi Miami32,
Well, yes. That's my impression. I agree. There's always talk of it being difficult, then that little zinger about making $xxK a year being no problem.

Lifetime I'd say I'm about $3,000 under water to poker, and I've read, Super System, TOP, SSHE, WLLHE, GSIH, etc.

I have yet to see a sustained upswing in my bankroll. So clearly I *am* -EV. But the books lead me to believe I shouldn't be.

The latest experiment has been the "GSIH Small Stack NL" strategy. Apparently I'm still a fish. LOL!

Anyway, putting in terminal time is easy for me. I spent a 24 hour solid period this week doing the GSIH strategy at various limits. Came up -$90.

However, it's the consistent winning that seems hard.

To be honest. If I could make it work, I'd never go back to Corp. USA ever. But it does have to work. LOL!

Anyway, with all the folks claiming to be earning a living at it, I can't figure what I'm doing wrong.

I'm beginning to wonder if the mining programs are mandatory. (Poker Tracker, PartyMine, whichever, whatever.)

[ QUOTE ]
How is this-Making money playing 3/6=easy. To continuously make money playing poker without going broke=hard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-03-2005, 09:40 PM

So how did you get that good at poker?

Is this all tournament income, or ring games, some combination of the two?

[ QUOTE ]
$10 an hour cooking or $XXX an hour playing poker.

I've read more books (not poker books - ugh!) in the past five months than.... that guy in the twilight Zone (Books! Books! Precious Books! And now I have all the time in the world to read my Books! <steps on reading glasses, cue "catastrophe" music&gt

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-04-2005, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
+ev player with big enough bankroll makes going broke almost impossible.

chez
Old 11-04-2005, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
+ev player with big enough bankroll makes going broke almost impossible.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. The keys to making money in poker consistantly is playing your best game at all times, adjusting, and money management.

Just reading a bunch of books wont guarantee you will win, you need to practice, but the most important thing i've learned is adjusting your strategy is very important for each player you play. Most of the books you listed give strategies on how to play tight, this will not work on all tables. Also, pokertracker + pokeracehud = great tools.

I dont play all day, but the 2-4hr sessions i do play i usually make money. Pokertracker shows me winning overall, but with a 1.7bb/hour (3/6 and 2/4 mostly), and little hours i put in its not much money to be made. i think if i multi tabled all day id make alot more.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:31 PM

This is true but it doesn't mean you won't dump alot of it off tilting. Which means you won't make money that you are able to live off of.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm beginning to wonder if the mining programs are mandatory. (Poker Tracker, PartyMine, whichever, whatever.)

[/ QUOTE ]

No... they are not...