Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 02:31 PM

Default hand reading exercise #2

this is 1/2. assume no reads.

preflop: two limpers (EP and LP), I check my BB

flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2.5 sb)
I bet, EP raises, LP CCs, I 3 bet, EP caps, all call

turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.25 bb)
I bet, EP calls, LP raises, I 3bet, EP calls, LP caps, all call

river: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (19.25 bb)
checked to LP who bets, further action omitted

the focus here is on reading my hand.

here are some questions to consider:
1) flop. do I have a made hand or am I drawing? what possible made hands do I have? what possible drawing hands?
2) turn. I'm still going nuts - did the turn improve my hand? did it make my hand? did it improve a draw?
3) river. did this card scare me? did it improve me? what do you think my action will be?

if you want to take a stab at EP and LP, be my guest. (notice that they switched roles between the flop and the turn)
Old 09-25-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: hand reading exercise #2

1) flop. do I have a made hand or am I drawing? what possible made hands do I have? what possible drawing hands?
made flush

2) turn. I'm still going nuts - did the turn improve my hand? did it make my hand? did it improve a draw?
better made flush since you're willing to 3-bet

3) river. did this card scare me? did it improve me? what do you think my action will be?
yes it scared you. you thought LP either slowplayed a set on the flop or has JT. i think you're check calling.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:49 PM

You could be pumping a draw on the flop or a made hand. I think Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 is the most likely after seeing the turn and river. 55 is also an option for you until your check on the river. You don't 3-bet the turn with 2pr unless it's JT, and you wouldn't 3-bet the flop with JT.

LP most likely has JT. I'm not sure about EP.

My thought is that the J on the river scared you. There's no reason for you to check to LP if it helped you. If it improved your hand, (i.e. you have J8, JT, 88, 55) you should bet and hope EP gets trapped between you and LP.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the obvious flushes.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:51 PM

I've never been any good at this but I'll give it a shot. I can see a range of hands you would have played the flop the way you did. A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x, a weak flush, a set or less likely 2 pair. When you continue your aggression (even when LP comes alive) I lean towards the made flush or a less likely set. I think we can rule out 2 pair. The only non made flush you would continue with is A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 (you have 15 outs) if you're overly aggressive but I don't think it's likely. The fact you checked the river makes me think it's a weak flopped flush. If you had a set (which is now a FH) I think you would have continued betting.

Feel free to tell me where I've completely missed the boat.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:02 PM

You: 9dTd or 6d7d
LP: J8 or 55 ?
Old 09-25-2005, 03:38 PM

*grunch* I'm gonna take a huge guess - you flopped a pretty good sized flush (Q high maybe?). Turn card just helps you build a pot (someone hitting a straight?). River card scares you because full house is a possibility.

EP has a really big diamond (singlular)?
LP has J10? pocket 10s (unlikely, prolly worth a raise)?
Old 09-25-2005, 04:02 PM

-blind response-

my first response is that you limped with Ax[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and made your hand. By the way you set up the question though, I'd guess this isn't the case.

this looks like set vs flush on the first two streets, and if it is you can't like that turn card...
Old 09-25-2005, 04:14 PM

*grunch*
you either have a made 2nd nut flush on the flop(since you didn't raise 2 limpers preflop its less likely you have the Ace) or you flopped 2 pair (including a jack) and are going for the ck raise on the river (less likely since these guys seem to be willing to pump up the pot and turn 3bet would be spewing).

LP has Qd9?
EP has KJo or QJo or maybe AdJ?
Old 09-25-2005, 04:15 PM

EP - A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J/A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8
LP - 88/55
you - 2 ragged diamonds (probably T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or something similar)
Old 09-25-2005, 04:17 PM

how can the turn improve your hand, make your hand, or improve a draw?