Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 06:10 AM

Default Re: I Quit My Day Job, contradictory?

You bring up an interesting point.

You are playing one table at a time and adjusting to players.

But, the theory of the moment seems to be to multi-table on lower limit tables.

I find it hard to believe someone is adjusting to the competion on 4 to 8 tables or as many as 80 opponents at a time.

So I'm thinking either heads up displays do some of that work for these players, or there's some ABC poker method I'm just completely missing.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:23 AM

Default Re: I Quit My Day Job, contradictory?

Hi CardSharpCook,
Well, I'd say I know some of the basics anyway. And discipline isn't too much of a problem for me, assuming I know what I should be doing.

I'd say where I get clobbered is not starting hand selection and other beginner discipline problems. It's post flop.

I think I'm just not to good at knowing when to get out, and when to push hard, post flop.

I downloaded the Poker Tracker trial copy. Seems to bear this out. It autorates me as Tight Aggressive/Passive.

So obviously I have no problem following a starting hand chart religiously (matter of fact I keep one on screen the whole time) or using the principles in Ed's book regarding those hands instead. That's all a pretty much a matter of straight math and relatively clearcut.

Trust me. When I'm sure what the next thing to do is (consider for example, pilot training and emergency procedures, checklists etc.) I can apply a militant degree of discipline.

However, there is the incomplete info. problem in this game.

And I suspect one of two things is at work here.

1) There are post flop concepts or rules as mathematical and as rigorous as pre-flop, and I just don't know them... (well we know some things are, like pot odds vrs. drawing odds etc.)

or

2) There's a certain amount of player reading that is art, and I may be one of those player reading impaired folks that may never get it. LOL!

In any event, we all know it's a game of situational analysis, but there are many, many situations and players to read.

So I'm always amazed when someone says, "I quit my job because I was making more at poker than my job after just a year...."

But, since multi-tabling seems to be the theory du jour, I have to believe there's some straight forward playing strategy that is profitable in today's online games, as I find it hard to believe anyone is adjusting to 4 to 8 tables worth of players on a player by player basis. If they are, well then they truly are superior minds compared to me, that's for sure.