Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 03:12 AM

Default Easy call?

1/2 NL. I have 260, BB has 220, UTG+1 has 180, MP has ~150.

UTG+1 opens for 6, one caller, I call with 6/6, BB re-raises to 10. All of us call and 4 to the flop.

Flop: 6/8/2 rainbow
UTG+1 checks. MP checks, I check, BB pots it. UTG+1 folds, MP folds, and I call.

Turn: 6/8/2/A rainbow
I check, BB checks.
Is this horrible? My thinking was that the Ace scares JJ/QQ/KK and a bet from me might fold out a hand that will call down a moderate bet on the river. Also it allows Ax to bet and gives me the potential to extract more value

River: 6/8/2/A/2
I bet half the pot. BB pushes all in. I call.

BB had AA. Anyway, I'm not trying to be results oriented, but is there ever a time when this is a fold? I'm presuming you get stacked here every time and are happy to get all your money in because of the times villain makes this play with a big ace?

Also this hand got me thinking about the validity of pushing the river against players capable of making a big call with something other than an ace here (like KK). How often would I need to be called there to make it profitable presuming villain always calls a smaller bet on the river, but won't call the push every time?
Old 10-22-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Easy call?

Lead the flop. Lead the turn. Be all-in by the river. Don't ever fold this either.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:33 AM

Lead the flop and let him think he is slowplaying his overpair. Bet the turn 3/4 pot and when he hammers it you push and stack him.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:12 AM

Yep, turn check was bad. He raised pre flop, the chances are good he has an ace. Lead at it, I would actually overbet this turn hoping he had ak, aq and that he re-raises and the money goes in.

If you do check this turn and he raises I hope your plan was to check raise.

My thought is that you should not worry that much about.. what if the guy has queens can I get a reasonable river call, but rather you should be saying if this guy has an ace how can I get the most money in.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:24 AM

Nobody worries about a minireraise from the blinds? I think c/r'ing this flop is fine because he has defined his hand and he likes it, alot.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm presuming you get stacked here every time and are happy to get all your money in because of the times villain makes this play with a big ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

With experience big folds are routine folds. Villain doesn't make this play with a big ace. He likely doesnt play a big ace like this preflop and it's unlikely he raises the river.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:31 AM

Folding sets at small stakes will not make you money. I get stacked 99.9% of the time I'm up against an overset and I'm still in the green.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:41 AM

This is pretty much an impossible river fold if he plays it like I would by being agressive the whole time.

As it was played it does seem very strange that the villan would check when an ace comes on the turn. This pretty much means he does not have AK. He either has aces or an underpair, still a very hard laydown and it is hard to fault anyone for calling it.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:45 AM

well i'm not a losing player but I don't look at it like folding a set. It seems lots of people on here like calling when they think/know they're beaten. I know I will never convince anybody on here but whatever here's my pathetic attempt...

pf there is a raise, one person cold calls, hero called, bb minireraises (narrow his hands down), original raiser calls, cold caller does his thing, hero does his thing and we go to the flop.

Not often the BB is leading into 3 people w/o a hand here, so given his donkish preflop play I give him credit for a real hand. Which leads us to the turn.

It's an Ace, awesome. It's HU hero checks, BB checks. Now this action does nothing to narrow down his hand range because he could still have AA/KK/QQ/slight chance of AKs/o.

River is a duece. Hero bets half pot, villain raises. Now why would villain do this? He certainly doesn't have KK/QQ now. Since he checked the turn and given his donkish play preflop I give him credit for AA and a very slight AKo/s hand. I am destroyed against one and the other I don't believe is very likely.

So I guess I'll say it. Would I fold it? No. I would check/call the river. That's right, I know nobody can believe it but that is what I would do. I would try to induce a bluff from what is hopefully KK/QQ since they likely fold to a river bet.

Thank you I wasted 10 minutes of my life trying to convince everybody who thinks they're always right.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:46 AM

well i'm not a losing player but I don't look at it like folding a set. It seems lots of people on here like calling when they think/know they're beaten. I know I will never convince anybody on here but whatever here's my pathetic attempt...

pf there is a raise, one person cold calls, hero called, bb minireraises (narrow his hands down), original raiser calls, cold caller does his thing, hero does his thing and we go to the flop.

Not often the BB is leading into 3 people w/o a hand here, so given his donkish preflop play I give him credit for a real hand. Which leads us to the turn.

It's an Ace, awesome. It's HU hero checks, BB checks. Now this action does nothing to narrow down his hand range because he could still have AA/KK/QQ/slight chance of AKs/o.

River is a duece. Hero bets half pot, villain raises. Now why would villain do this? He certainly doesn't have KK/QQ now. Since he checked the turn and given his donkish play preflop I give him credit for AA and a very slight AKo/s hand. I am destroyed against one and the other I don't believe is very likely.

So I guess I'll say it. Would I fold it? No. I would check/call the river. That's right, I know nobody can believe it but that is what I would do. I would try to induce a bluff from what is hopefully KK/QQ since they likely fold to a river bet.

Thank you for your time.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lead the flop. Lead the turn. Be all-in by the river. Don't ever fold this either.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN