Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Re: 5-10 NL straight flush draw

If you made pot sized raise on flop, you would just have one pot sized bet on the turn and you would already be all-in and not having to worry about folding the best hand here. But as played, it looks like a fold. Too shallow and you are showing too much aggression for him to really think this is a good place to bluff.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:07 AM

Actually yeah, I thought there was something odd about the raise to 150.

-Diplomat
Old 10-03-2005, 11:25 AM

If you made pot sized raise on flop, you would just have one pot sized bet on the turn and you would already be all-in and not having to worry about folding the best hand here.

I made the smallish raise to either:

1) induce a reraise all in for value, or
2) to build a pot should I hit, or
3) to give myself a chance to check behind should I miss the turn.

I didn't want to lose him right away, and I didn't want to build such a pot that if he does just call and fire the turn, I won't be forced to call off my stack.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) induce a reraise all in for value, or

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you want him to push? You want him to fold.
[ QUOTE ]

2) to build a pot should I hit, or

[/ QUOTE ]
Bigger raise = bigger pot.
[ QUOTE ]

3) to give myself a chance to check behind should I miss the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't see how smaller raise makes it more likely he'll check to you on the turn.
[ QUOTE ]

I didn't want to lose him right away,

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not? Seems to me your greatest EV comes from him folding the flop.
[ QUOTE ]
and I didn't want to build such a pot that if he does just call and fire the turn, I won't be forced to call off my stack.

[/ QUOTE ]
Either you wrote something backwards here or I'm confused. I think your intention is that you didn't want to build such a big pot that you WOULD have to call off your whole stack if he calls the flop and pushes a blank turn. But you can just play the turn according to the pot odds that you have. If he doesn't give you correct pot odds to draw, congratulate him on his good play and fold. But it seems unlikely that that is how he is planning on playing it. And I don't see how the size of the flop raise affects that aspect of the turn at all. It's not like you are FORCED to call of your stack on the turn. If you DO call all in on the turn it will be because you are getting pot odds to do so and therefore it is +EV and you want to do it. I don't see how raising more on the flop would make the turn -EV in such a way as to balance out what I see to be the EV benefits on the flop.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:13 PM

Are you properly bankrolled for this game? If the answer is yes, then here's my response.

Your math is wrong on the hand to start with, it isn't $415 on the turn, it's $515.

You raise the flop to try to get a free card if you miss and to build a pot if you hit. You hit, AND have built a pot against a player that you say is loose preflop and mediocre post, PROBABLY A SLIGHT LOSER IN THE GAME. Then he check/raise checks... I love this spot, i think he has a pair plus redraw, and if he doesn't i'll pay it off and get him later or hit the str8 flush. Lets look at the numbers:

Preflop: $115
Flop: $515
Turn: $1495

You have $520 left, getting almost 3:1 against a loser in the game that check/raise checks, and you say is mediocre.... i call and take my lumps

if you called an lost this hand, i think you were either shown a jack high flush or a pair+redraw that hit on river..
Old 10-03-2005, 12:43 PM

you're right.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:50 PM

I call expecting a one heart hand from villian. Your raise on the flop looks like you're trying to price out draws, and your bet on the turn looks weak. I think villian could easily be reading you for being afraid of the flush and trying to push you off whatever he thinks you have (trips/2pair/etc.) I think you're getting good enough odds to call here.

JKratzer
Old 10-03-2005, 12:59 PM

Default RESULTS

There was zero doubt in my mind that I was behind, but there was another factor I didn't want to taint the decision; the cardroom has a jackpot for high hands - straight flush would have paid out about 10k, making the call fairly easy.

After a few moments thought, I announced to the table that I had 2 outs, but wanted to win the jackpot, and flipped over my cards.

Sure enough, I was shown A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Against the slightly passive type of player, I don't think he's bluffing the river, or I'm even ahead often enough to make a call profitable without the jackpot.

No, I didn't hit.

But I think the question of the flop play is far more interesting.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

sucks man, but i lose this pot and smile... if he open riases with a3 and does donkey check/raise checks... it's just a loan that you'll get back with heavy interest
Old 10-03-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
I announced to the table that I had 2 outs, but wanted to win the jackpot

[/ QUOTE ]

They pay out a jackpot if you make a SF with only one of the cards in your hand?