Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2004, 05:49 AM

Default A major leak UTG at 5/10 shorthanded! You agree?

I got 40,000 hands - 450 hours - in Pokertracker, playing Party Poker $5/10, 6max.

My win rate from different positions is (5 or 6 player seated):

BUTTON 0,14
1 0,09
2 0,11
3 0,06
BB -0,12
SB -0,06

I saw that I was coming in with 18,5% UTG, but only raising 65% of theses hands. If someone asked me I would have said that I raise at least 80% from UTG, I dont like limping in a shorthanded game. Limping first in is giving up before it even started.

I looked at my starting hands UTG (position 3) and found out that I have tried to limp (sometimes raise) with the following hands about every time I get them UTG.

A9s (raise half the time)
A8s-A2s ("always" limp)
66-55 ("always" limp)

I pretty often - or at least to often - tried to limp (sometimes raise) with:

44-22 (limp)
K9s (limp)
KTs (raise 1/3)
QTs (raising half the time)
Q9s (limp)
T8s (limp)
97s (limp)

I sometimes - not to often - tried to come in with:

QTo (raise half the time)

If I had folded all these hands preflop I would have increased my winrate about 0,2BB/h. Playing 3 tables, that is $6/hour.

About the same hands - at least the weaker 2/3 of them - are losing hands from UTG+1. If I started to fold some of them from UTG+1 I would increase my winrate at least another 0,1BB/h.

Playing 3 tables this is about $10/hour. Playing 180 hours/month (60 hours at 3 tables) I am losing $600/month. That is a weekend trip to Paris with my girlfriend each month (I am european).

You agree that all hands above should be folded UTG and many of them UTG+1? Are some of them - like A9s, A8s and 66 - hands that are profitable with a raise? What do your pokertracker stats says?
Old 03-13-2004, 07:41 AM

Default Re: A major leak UTG at 5/10 shorthanded! You agree?

i had no idea you were this loose under the gun - next time i come across you at these tables i'm staying

i'm not going to argue with your stats - perhaps a better way to adjust what you do is to group the hands in question and see for yourself how low to go

i kill with Q10s UTG - i've had it 9 times and raised everyone but 1 (probably 3 tabling at an exciting point in a sporting telecast)- handy that i've won 7 of those 9 hands but i'm not going to stop after reading your post

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Old 03-13-2004, 08:35 AM

Default Re: A major leak UTG at 5/10 shorthanded! You agree?

You are more then welcome to sit down. Since I am now starting to fold some of these hands and raise some others I will be a killer UTG next time you find me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And yes, I think QTs is a raise. Of my 40,000 hands only 4000 are UTG so you cant trust the stats completley. (only got 18 QTs)