Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2003, 07:02 AM

Default cheap potlimit without fishes?

I have played a lot straightlimit holdem, and now Im trying to learn potlimit holdem.

I have read some books: T.J. Cloutier's "potlimt and nolimit holdem", which I found ok, but not very useful. Phil Helmuths "Play Poker like the Pros", which I found - at least the straight limit section - extremly poor and damaging to your play if you dont already know how to play. And then I have read, and Im rereading, Ciaffones book, which I find very good (I like his "Improve your poker" very much.)

Here is my problem: I have tried to play potlimit at Party Poker, $25. But the players are so bad that its hard to put them on a hand and they are calling way to much. I find myself sitting and waiting for a good hand and then betting it.

Is there anywhere on the internet where you can play potlimit holdem against good/decent players and getting your feet wet without having to start with more then $50? (maybe $100 is ok, but if I can avoid it while learning, it would be great)

A few times at Party Poker I have played potlimit with good players. Then its a lot of fun. But all this calling stations, oh, they are booring.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:50 PM

Default Re: cheap potlimit without fishes?

The players at Pokerstars are generally better than at Party. Also, players at 'stars will fold more simply because the stacks are larger (100x buy-in vs. 50x buy-in).

Paul
Old 11-06-2003, 11:48 PM

Default Re: cheap potlimit without fishes?

Seriously, not being able to put bad players on a hand is a small drawback you shouldn't care about since you are playing with bad players.

You wont make more from good players because you can read their hands better.

If you are playing for only fun and not money then you'll have to be pretty rich before you start to find good players. 2.5/5 is were i see 50% of the table being somewhat solid players.

I'm sure most twoplustwo'ers will play you heads up/in a ring game if you are new and then teach you from your hands played.