Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: WCOOP Event #9 ($300+$20 Limit Stud, Monday 9/12, 3pm EST)
>600 4 19.05%
500-600 5 23.81%
300-400 8 38.10%
<300 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Best Old School Video Game of All Time; Round of 32

dude no offense but being a nintendo champion doesnt mean [censored] but that you didnt have a life.

I have studied the market, I am a programmer, and a lifelong gaming nerd, but I didnt feel the need to try and grow my epenis by bragging about it, jeez.

Super Mario Kart was a really good game both in popularity and history... however just because you really really really like it doesnt mean it's the best ever.

Really if you want to talk about importance, it's hard to go past NES games, since virtually all of the popular games pioneered new genres and such.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tecmo bowl beating Chrono Trigger? It's a sad, sad day. I have lost confidence in OOT's polling credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're all idiots.
Tie Fighter going out in the first round makes me sad, but I guess Super Metroid is a bit too tough.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:44 AM

Where is River City Ransom...arguably the best NES game ever.

Or Raiders of the Lost Ark for the 2600? I have friends to this day who still dont belive I beat it when I was a kid.

And dont get me started on the best Pinball game ever...
Old 12-07-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
where is ninja gaiden?

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be here instead of Blaster Master. Argh, good catch.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That the original Zelda for NES is not on here makes me sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. That was one of the first things I saw in this poll and it made me sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Link to the Past is a straight up better game than the original Zelda, period.

10 reasons "A Link to the Past" is better than "Legend of Zelda"

1) The graphics are better
2) In "A Link to the Past", you get the ability to run around faster very early (Pegasus Boots). This makes running around the world a lot less tedious.
3) There's a lot less "trying" crap. For example, there is no indication in the second quest that you can walk through walls until you actually do it.
4) Similarly, it's actually possible to find everything without spending hours burning every tree and bombing every rock and blowing the whistle in every screen. Remember trying to find level 8 in the second quest? Yeah.
5) The items are cooler.
6) "A Link to the Past" had fun minigames.
7) With the whole "Master Sword"/"Dark World" plot, you get a nice boost of accomplishment in the middle of the game. Then you go "oh, crap". Great story/gameplay. Legend of Zelda is much more of a grind.
8) The enemies are more interesting when they're not restricted to all be the same size. There are no piehats in Zelda 3. The bosses are also a lot more interesting.
9) Multi-leveled dungeons made them more fun and increased the puzzle possibilities.
10) The story was a lot better, Link and Zelda and Aganhim and Sahasrahla (sp?) all at least have some sort of personality. The entire plof of Legend of Zelda is contained in the game's opening sequence which you might not even see if you just press start immediately. It's just "ok, kill a bunch of crap and free the princess".

Now, don't get me wrong. It's a great game and I loved it and beat it multiple times. But, a Link to the past is better.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ SF2 although SF2 Turbo is a minor improvement of the same game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was never a big SF player, and as far as I knew SF2 and SF2T were the same game.

[ QUOTE ]

Mario 3: obv

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think it was obvious, like I told another poster in this thread I flipped a coin vs. Super Mario World. Both are truly excellent games and this debate probably deserves its own thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Dragon Warrior is a tough one, but I prolly like the original better than DW3, so I'll agree w/ that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually never played DW3, my Dragon Warrior experience is a lot more limited than it ought to be.

[ QUOTE ]

Sim City should be on the list over 2000 IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this, 2000 added a lot of stuff including a more 3D view, hills are done a lot better, and zoning is much better than assigning 3x3 blocks.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming FF7 is post 1994, so FF6 is the clear choice for that one (those are my 2 favorite games of all time w/ FF7 having the very slight edge).

[/ QUOTE ]

FF7 is post 1994. That would have been an extremely hard choice for me if it wasn't.

[ QUOTE ]

I personally preferred Mortal Kombat 3, but I don't think there's anything close to a concensus on those so you kind of have to go with the original I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my logic.

[ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree with Sonic 3. You HAVE to go with the original on that one. I guess you could argue that the turbo charge thing you can do in 2 and on makes them better, but other than that, the original is just so superior.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was never much of a big Sonic player. I went with three because of the ordering on this page. I can't argue the point any better than that.

[ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I've never played super metroid, but I'm surprised to see it ahead of the original nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Super Metroid is better than the original for a few reasons

1) The original is just too hard. Remember trying to get the Varia suit without the high jump boots?
2) More different weapons
3) You get to see Samus naked at the end
Old 12-07-2005, 10:35 AM

haven't read the responses yet, but these brackets could be better or something. Asking a question like punch out or mario kart just isn't fair to do to someone. Castlevania or FF come on.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
haven't read the responses yet, but these brackets could be better or something. Asking a question like punch out or mario kart just isn't fair to do to someone. Castlevania or FF come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are sooooooooooo many good games on this list, those aren't the only two really tough ones.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tecmo Super Bowl might be a fun and entertaining game for some people. In particular I can see retarded people and people that cannot read without expending large amounts of mental energy preferring a football video game over a true work of art like Chrono Trigger.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is you making fun of these people any different or better than me saying "nerd fodder"? Your verbal barbs are certainly a little more harsh than anything I said.

[ QUOTE ]
But the fact that it is more fun for these poor imbeciles does not make it a better game.

[/ QUOTE ]
To them it does. Who would prefer a game they had less fun playing? Granted, most people have not played CT. But RPGs are not for everyone (which is sad).

[ QUOTE ]
But yeah, keep calling me a nerd and refuting my statements with a total lack of logic or substantial thought like everyone else in this thread already has. I'm sure that will make you feel better about yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoa dude. Take 'er easy. For the record, I did not call you a nerd. I simply took umbrage with your view of everyone who did not agree with you being a dumb jock. I happen to love both games... and I think it's very sad that more people do not know about games like CT. In fact, I agree with everything you said if you take the personal attacks out of it! I was trying to play devil's advocate on a topic that is fun for me to discuss (being in the video game industry)....but I guess you could not hang without going to the bag o' insults. Too bad. I also tried to use both logic and thought in my responses but I guess I am just not smart enough to communciate with you properly.

Take care,
tpir
Old 12-07-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
where is ninja gaiden?

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be here instead of Blaster Master. Argh, good catch.

[/ QUOTE ]
No way dude. Blaster Master was way ahead of it's time. That was an incredible game and I think having it on the list was a good touch. The top 64 teams in the country don't always make the NCAA tournament.... uh oh, I am talking about sports now. I must be a dumb jock!!!!

(Goes back to playing Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time on DS)
tpir