Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: WCOOP Event #9 ($300+$20 Limit Stud, Monday 9/12, 3pm EST)
>600 4 19.05%
500-600 5 23.81%
300-400 8 38.10%
<300 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Best Old School Video Game of All Time; Round of 32

[ QUOTE ]
Pitting PC games against console games is like pitting NFL games against arena football.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I saw the title, I was thinking Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pac Man, Pong, etc. I guess I am too [censored] old for this thread.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is typical nerd fodder and is also utter horsesh*t. chrono trigger is my favorite RPG of all-time and i definitely picked it over tecmo super bowl. however, tecmo super bowl was way ahead of it's time as far as sports games go and was simply a fantastic game. it deserves to be in the contest.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are wrong. I have already clearly spelled out why.

Tecmo Super Bowl might be a fun and entertaining game for some people. In particular I can see retarded people and people that cannot read without expending large amounts of mental energy preferring a football video game over a true work of art like Chrono Trigger. But the fact that it is more fun for these poor imbeciles does not make it a better game.

Most OOTers have never played the ancient strategy game Go, in fact probably more have played the recently popular online Risk. If you made a poll asking which is the better game, Risk would probably win right now. However, a true objective analysis of these games can be done. Go has more heritage, more strategy, more culture, and more thought to it than Risk. Risk is simply popular recently. This is the same reason MTV is showing Britney Spears music videos and other crap instead of Beethoven. But anyone with any clue knows that Beethoven's music is simply better than Britney Spears--regardless of what some teenagers prefer.

Euphoria is nice, and addictive. And I can see where it has its place with these fans of Tecmo Super Bowl. It has influenced them to the point where they don't really care about which game is superior, they just remember "oh wow that game was really fun." If any of these clowns were to actually play through a game like Chrono Trigger, they would realize that these two games don't deserve to be in the same league even. It's a real travesty that that has been done, and the result really shows OOT's lack of taste and basic ignorance.

But yeah, keep calling me a nerd and refuting my statements with a total lack of logic or substantial thought like everyone else in this thread already has. I'm sure that will make you feel better about yourself.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
agreed on both counts... but i also have to give a nod to mario 64. i know that 3d games get knocked by lots of old-school gaming fans (myself included) but mario 64 is totally amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
That the original Zelda for NES is not on here makes me sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

When I saw the title, I was thinking Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pac Man, Pong, etc. I guess I am too [censored] old for this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Argh. Ok, for the last time:

In an attempt to make the list of games manageable, I limited myself to the following restrictions:

1) By Old School, I meant like late 80s early 90s. I forget what the date of the earliest game on here is, but 1988-1994 sounds about right.
2) So that the list wasn't swamped with a million different kinds of great games, I picked one representative game. I thought that A Link to the Past was clearly better than the original Legend of Zelda (though BOTH are awesome games), so I just put that one.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:24 AM

I don't even know the video games you are talking about, but I loved the vigor and vinegar of your answer.

I do know Go, just not well. It has been years since I played it or read a Go book. But I know that Go is rich enough for a lifetime of study and a beautiful game.

I made a similar remark tonight about Stratego and Chess. I like Stratego better, but I know that doesn't mean it's a better game than chess.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:37 AM

Tecmo bowl beating Chrono Trigger? It's a sad, sad day. I have lost confidence in OOT's polling credibility.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:13 AM

RAMPART
mario 3
tecmo football
rbi baseball
nhl 94
top gear

winslowned
http://winslowned.ytmnd.com/
Old 12-07-2005, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tecmo bowl beating Chrono Trigger? It's a sad, sad day. I have lost confidence in OOT's polling credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chrono Trigger is in my top 10 favorite games of all time (maybe even top 5) but this didn't surprise me.

Most people that vote in this thread probably haven't even played half the games. You ahve to remember that. Out of people that played both, I'm pretty sure CT would be a favorite, but TSB was just way more popular. Everyone has played that game.

That's the nature of these polls.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That the original Zelda for NES is not on here makes me sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. That was one of the first things I saw in this poll and it made me sick.

To be fair though, most of his other choices were correct.
I def agree with Megaman 2.
I agree w/ SF2 although SF2 Turbo is a minor improvement of the same game.
Mario 3: obv
Dragon Warrior is a tough one, but I prolly like the original better than DW3, so I'll agree w/ that.
Sim City should be on the list over 2000 IMO.

I'm assuming FF7 is post 1994, so FF6 is the clear choice for that one (those are my 2 favorite games of all time w/ FF7 having the very slight edge).

I personally preferred Mortal Kombat 3, but I don't think there's anything close to a concensus on those so you kind of have to go with the original I guess.

I strongly disagree with Sonic 3. You HAVE to go with the original on that one. I guess you could argue that the turbo charge thing you can do in 2 and on makes them better, but other than that, the original is just so superior.

To be honest, I've never played super metroid, but I'm surprised to see it ahead of the original nonetheless.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:08 AM

as a former nintendo world championships official semifinalist (detroit region) circa 1992, i say this is a strong collection of games. there are some difficult first round matchups such as dragon warrior vs sim city 2000, but mike tyson's punchout vs super mario kart is an impossible choice. these are two of the top five games in the contest.

the most played titles like super mario bros 3 will be tough to beat, but there are definitely games i enjoyed more. tecmo super bowl is up there for me because of so much replayability. i liked doing whole seasons with my friends and then picking pro bowl teams based on the comprehensive stats. the computer opponents were weak though so we all used the worst teams and played their backups. i did some serious damage with tampa bay benchwarmers.

contra and mega man 2 for best side scrollers. contra for pure fun and mega man 2 for unique challenges. where is ninja gaiden?

super mario kart best overall i think
Old 12-07-2005, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

super mario kart best overall i think

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive me for speaking so bluntly sir, but that pick makes me want to puke my guts out.

Obviously it was a great game, but you went to nintendo competitions and THIS is your favorite game on the list? Are you mad?

Maybe this is another topic itself, but I think MarioKart64 was much better than its SNES counterpart. Obviously it was post 1994, so it doesn't apply to the poll, but that game had so much more depth, replayability, and more challenging aspects than the SNES version. I'm curious how you feel about this.